The Walk

Blurryface sat alone in his empty, dark, torn apartment room as he often did, and stared through his foggy window at gleeful people passing on the path, another thing he often did.

   No matter how many times he had sat in his room and gazed out his window before, none of those times compared to this one. He was sitting with nobody near him, and yet he felt less lonely than he had in a very long time.

   That's not to say he magically stopped feeling insecure and helpless. He just didn't quite feel as alone. And it's a tremendously spectacular discovery, to find out you don't feel nearly as alone as you have before. It's freeing.

   To Blurryface, it felt as if just a few days ago, he was carrying two heavy bags, with unexplainable weight. One bag was filled with his doubts, his troubles, and everything his mind was telling him, and the other bag was filled with loneliness.

   Isn't it ironic how vacancy and emptiness are so heavy to carry?

   Now, however, Blurry felt like he was only carrying the first bag, letting the bag filled with loneliness fall behind him.

   Blurryface didn't even try to deny that this was all because of Cry Baby. Something about her - even though she too carries her own hefty bags of negative things weighing her down - is lightening and comforting, and a mix of qualities than most humans chase, and only a certain number can catch.

   Suddenly, without thinking, he was standing up and walking to the door. He was outside, and his legs were walking down the path he'd been observing for so long. The hood that made his sweatshirt a hoodie was down, though he still was looking at the concrete beneath him.

   Though his head was hiding, his eyes were looking around at everything they could see. Birds and trees, petals and dew, sticks and squirrels.

   He was so lost in everything he had been ignoring all those years, that at some point, he was looking around at a neighborhood. He looked down the street at all the houses, all very pretty, but basically all the same.

   Except for one.

   Curiosity tickled Blurry's legs, urging him to go get a closer look at the odd blue house with a tall pink door. It looked like an old dollhouse.

   Before he could hardly walk a foot, his thoughts and movements were stopped, and Blurryface stood completely frozen when he heard a certain voice, like somebody was holding him at gunpoint.

   "Ah, well, my eyes must be playing tricks on me."

   Blurryface said nothing. He recognized the voice, its booming tone, slight Southern drawl and slow way of speaking.

   It was the voice of the principal from his high school.

   "Tell me, now, what on earth brings you here? Have you wound up in prison yet?"

   And with that, Blurry said one of the stupidest things he could have.

   "I don't think I'm who you think I am."

   The principal chuckled.

   "No, no, you're exactly who I think you are. I can tell from your jacket, the way you walk, your height. You ought to be... well, who knows if you've changed your name, but you were dubbed 'Blurryface' in high school, weren't you? I'll bet you haven't been addressed by your real name in an eternity, have you, Tyler?"

   Principal Jackson had never spoken such soft words to Blurry, but the mockery in his voice shielded all that.

   "I'm not Tyler. Tyler's gone."

   "But you are. Behind your foolish mask, you are Tyler R. Joseph. That is what you've been named, and that is what you are."

   The proactive way all these things were said angered Blurry so much that he blurted out more than he had every said to that man.

   "No. Tyler is what I was. In fact, I was never completely Tyler. He was half of me. Tyler was the kid who walked the halls carelessly. Tyler was the kid who waved away all his troubles as if they were so avoidable. Tyler was stupid."

   "So, what's Blurryface, hm? What you called yourself in prison?"

   "What do you mean what I called myself in prison?"

   "Ah, you never did time, huh? Shame I left my phone at the hotel I'm staying in. I would've called the cops by now, inform them that you're in the area."

   "Why would you do that?"

   "Well, what I'm learning here, boy, is that you're wanted and on the run."

   Blurryface broke out into a sprint. He sped past the squirrels and the sticks, the dew and petals, the trees and birds, until he arrived back at his dark apartment.

   And with that, it was as if, he had turned around to retrieve the bag of loneliness.