Apologies

"I need to apologize to her. I'm such an idiot, all I can do is hurt people. I need her to know I'm sorry."

   Blurry sat with a pen tightly held in his hand, and a white sheet of paper in front of him, not a drop of ink anywhere on the page. He felt as if his mind was traveling through a jungle of the past, a jungle filled with nothing but doing wrong, and it was his quest to search the jungle until he found the rare jewel of mending what he has destroyed. Some way to right what he had done to Cry Baby.

   "Apologies. How dumb. Nobody will trust a person who apologizes, especially me. It's cheap, it's usual, and it doesn't mean anything."

   After hours, his brain felt tired and numb. Every time he tried to shove a thought into his head, all he felt was blankness, blanker than the piece of paper in front of him.

   Suddenly, an idea.

   "A song. Something honest."

   And with that, he wrote a song. He never liked his singing voice, or his writing for that matter. He always said he wished he had a better voice that sang some better words. But this song, it was unusual. It wasn't a meaningless apology. It was a cry for help. It was saying that even though he had done so much wrong, he needed someone to save him, from others, from himself.

    Help me polarize.
     Wanted to be a better adversary to the evil I have done.
       Help me out.
        I think I lost my halo.
         I have none to show to the one I love but denial.
          You know where I'm coming from.
I don't know where you are.
You'll have to come and find me.

   Lyrics poured from the pen onto the paper. It took him all night to finish what he started. The next afternoon, he stood by a path near his apartment, a song clutched in his hand.

   After a few minutes, he saw her, riding down the path. She was biking fast, so he had very little time to muster up the courage to convince her to stop and speak to him.

   Thank goodness, it didn't take much.

   "Cry Baby." He called.

   She stopped pedaling immediately, but her movement was unsure as she turned to face him.

   Fear was tugging at every muscle, bone, and organ in Blurryface's body as he scanned his brain for what to do next.

   "I'm sorry." He said pathetically.

   Cry Baby simply nodded her head, not letting him have it. He knew this was a test. He'd have to express himself.

   "I was..." What were you? You were more than sorry, idiot.  Think it over. Make it count. Don't wait. "I was afraid. Not of you. Well, kind of. I was afraid of hurting you. I know I did end up hurting you after all, but it was out of fear for you. The truth is, I really... care about you. I hate the person I am. I know you can't stand it when I say that, but honestly, the person I am is hardly a person. I feel like a monster. And I really care about you, so I didn't want to destroy someone I cared about. But I realize, I need your help."

   Cry Baby's smile was sure, but her eyes weren't.

   "What do you mean? Need my help?"

   "Here." He tossed her the piece of paper with the song. "I wrote it."
She took a step towards him, but her eyes were focused on the paper. Her face showed no reaction or emotion until she looked up. A sly smile was on her face, but she was clearly touched.

   "Ah. You need me to help you polarize, huh?"

   Blurryface shrugged.

   "Done deal."