Chapter 23

Bert, Mikey and Frank were standing in front of a house, the shutters were all shut, no one seemed to be inside. Frank looked once again at the blue note and frowned

"I don't understand, it should be here, it's the right address."

Bert sighed "Well I guess it isn't."

Frank turned around to look at him "And why would he give me a false address ? Just for fun ?"

"I don't know, maybe. Who knows."

Frank saw the concerned look on Mikey's face, he put a hand on his shoulder and smiled at him

"Don't worry, I'm gonna find him. Wait here for me, I'll be back"

Frank headed towards the house and Mikey ran after him

"Wait ! What are you doing ?"

"I'm just gonna check."

He opened the fence and walked until the door, he knocked two times and waited. After a few minutes, Frank assumed no one was there and he was going to go back when someone opened the door. It was a guy with black hair, tanned with brown eyes, he seemed kind of surprised when he saw Frank in front of him, he raised an eyebrow

"Hey ?"

Frank started to feel embarrassed, the guy was looking at him from head to toe with a suspicious look. Frank looked at Mikey who made a sign of the head as to tell him to go ahead. Frank cleared his throat and asked

"Hey, I...I'm looking for someone and...well, your address was written... I mean, hum, i-is Gerard Way here ?"

The guy stayed silent for a few seconds, then he replied "Who are you again ?"

Frank scratched the back of his neck and tried to ignore how awkward the situation was

"I...I'm here with his brother who is looking for him since almost two weeks now, please could you just tell me if he's here or if I'm wasting my time ?"

He looked at Frank, then at Bert and Mikey, and he answered

"Yes, he's inside...come on in."

Frank felt so relieved. He smiled and waved a hand at Mikey and Bert who headed towards him. Frank entered the house first, and as Mikey approached the door, the guy raised an eyebrow and smiled at him, Mikey smiled back awkwardly and immediately dropped his head.

It was pretty dark inside the house, Frank followed the guy in the living room where only a few lights -fairy lights among others- were on. Music was on but not very loud and there was about ten people in there, sat on couches and pillows on the floor, they were talking and laughing, and everyone had a plastic cup except one guy who had a bottle, probably tequila.

Frank looked around the room, searching for Gerard, and when he finally found him, his heart stopped beating for a second, now that he was here, he didn't know what to do, let alone what to say

Gerard turned his head, and when his gaze met Frank's, he stopped laughing and frowned

"Frank ? What the hell are you doing here ?"

Frank felt like he had been stabbed in the stomach, he frowned too and exclaimed

"Are you kidding me ? You wro-"

Gerard stood up and rushed toward him, then he put his hand on Frank's mouth "Follow me, we're gonna talk about this in private."

Frank didn't even have the time to answer, Gerard grabbed his arm and took him into the kitchen. Once he closed the door, Frank exclaimed

"What is that supposed to mean ? You leave me a note with an address on it which clearly implies that you want me to go after you and then you act as if you were surprise to see me when I show up ? What the hell ?"

Gerard sighed and ran his hand through his hair

"Shit."

Frank raised an eyebrow, his heart began to beat faster.

"Shit ?" he repeated

Gerard bit his lips and looked at Frank

"Look, I-I'm sorry, I left this note for Mikey to know where I was, because I didn't want him to worry even more...but...I...I didn't actually wanted him to go after me...I didn't wanted you to go after me."

Hit by a bus. That's how Frank felt at this exact moment. And stupid. So freaking stupid.

Of course Gerard didn't want him to go after him, why would him ?

Frank sat on a chair and put his elbows on the table. He sighed and put his head in his hands

Why does my chest hurts so much ? he thought.

Gerard came closer to him and put his hand on Frank's shoulder

"Hey, are you okay ? I'm sorry if I hur-"

"No, it's okay." Frank cut him off. He looked away and shook his head "I don't care anyway. I just feel bad for Mikey, because he was really excited to see you again." Frank felt it. He felt that is was a lie. And for once, he felt like telling the truth, he just needed to say it.

He bit his lip ring and whispered "Actually, I was pretty excited too."

Gerard remained silent. Frank wasn't looking at him so he couldn't see his face, but he could guess that Gerard was quite shocked.

"Frank..."

"No, please, forget it, it doesn't matter." Frank replied

The room went silent for several seconds. An awkward silence full of regrets and guilt.

Suddenly, Gerard raised an eyebrow and smiled "Is that my jacket ? You kept it ?"

Frank blushed like hell and took it off, then he threw it at Gerard "T-take it, I don't want it anymore." He stood up and headed towards the kitchen door "I'm leaving since I don't belong in here. Goodbye I guess."

"No, Frank...wait. Please."

Frank sighed, his hand was on the door handle. He looked at Gerard

Gerard came closer to him and looked at him in the eye

"Even though I hadn't planned it that way, I'm still glad you came"

Frank didn't know what to think about it. He felt a strange sensation in his stomach. Only one word came to his mind, bittersweet.

Frank dug his nails into his palms " I...I really have to go, it's getting dark outside."

Gerard took Frank's hands and Frank shivered, his heart was racing.

"Please, Frank, stay. Just for tonight"

Gerard's hands were warm, and soft. Frank couldn't think straight. He was confused. The last time Gerard had asked him to stay, he was gone the day after, he had left him alone like an idiot. But even if Frank wanted to resist, and to say no, he couldn't. He couldn't look at Gerard in the eye and refuse. Something mysterious made him want to stay, despite everything.

Frank sighed and answered

"Okay"