Chapter 15

Mikey and Frank shared a worried look as they stood awkwardly in front of Bert's house.

Frank was filled with anxiety as he was fully aware that this house was their one and only lead.

If Gerard wasn't here, well, Frank didn't know what he would do next. Probably go home and bang his head against the wall while reminding himself how useless he was.
But Frank didn't want to be useless, he promised Mikey he would find his brother, and that was exactly what he was going to do. He knocked two times at the door and felt the hope increase inside him as he heard the sound of keys being inserted into the lock. Bert opened the door, looking like he had just woke up and stared at Frank with an interrogative look.

"I'm pretty sure that I've seen you somewhere before, haven't I ?"

"Yeah. In a nightclub, but you were probably too drunk to remember me." 

Bert raised an eyebrow, and Frank added quickly

"Anyway, we're not here to talk about that " 

Bert looked over Frank's shoulder and saw Mikey, nervously biting his nails

"...Mikey?"What are you doing here?"

Before Mikey could have the time to respond, Frank cut him off and asked, looking nothing but serious

"Is Gerard here?" 

Bert frowned and scratch his scalp

"What? No, why would he?" 

Frank felt all his hopes crashing down at the same time, he was worried but also really mad at Gerard and all he wanted to do right know was to kick him in the stomach for being such a stupid, selfish asshole. How could he do that to Mikey? He was so nice and caring...

Mikey lowered his head and closed his hands into fists, then weakly whispered

"I knew it..." 

Frank turned around to face him and placed his hands on his shoulders in a gentle manner. He gently tilted his head

"Hey, listen to me, I promise I will find him, okay ? Don't be so pessimistic, he can't have disappeared, he's obviously somewhere." 

"Yeah, I guess so.. " Mikey replied weakly

Bert sighed and exclaimed

"Hellooo, can someone tell me what the fuck is happening here? What's the matter with Gerard?" 

Frank turned around to face him and crossed his arms on his chest, he didn't like that guy.

"He's gone. About a week ago, Mikey hasn't received any news since then"

Bert blinked, he frowned

"Oh shit, that sucks... Huh, is there anything I can do?"

Frank shook his head

"Not much... Just call Mikey if Gerard shows up or if he gives you any sign."

Bert nodded and Frank took Mikey by the arm and lead him to their bikes

"Go home now, you need to get some rest. I'll start up again tomorrow. I'll find him, trust me."

Even if he didn't want to admit it, Frank wasn't doing it only for Mikey, that was selfish, but he also wanted to redeem himself for all his bad actions. For once in his life, he wanted to do something right. He wanted to help others, because he never did. Frank never cared  much about others.Whenever he saw somebody in trouble or who needed help, Frank usually walked away without doing anything, because he considered that it was not his job, and because he honestly didn't give a damn.