Chapter Sixteen: Love

Luna

The look on my father's face alarmed me more than the warning of tomorrow's battle. He wiped the blood from his mouth and moved slightly so that I could see the body of a woman.

"Papa! Who is that woman?"

"That was Angelina Gold, your grandmother."

"That was my grandmother?"

"Yes, Snow fulfilled the Sacred Promise."

"Papa, the All Powerful One knows that Ana is dead that is why he is attacking now! Oh no, Ana must have come here on her own accord." I ran from the room and shook Snow awake. She woke groggy and Lycan looked at me as if I was insane. "How could you?"

"What? How could I what?"

"Kill Ana?"

"Oh, she threatened the people I loved. Why am I explaining myself? I was bound to the Sacred Promise Luna; I had no choice either way. What is done is done. Deal with it." she looked away from me and I stalked out of the room onto the porch.

I was furious. Snow had caused this! Why could I not see Ana's future? I could see everything else, but why not her? I gave up on thinking about Ana, she was dead right? But I couldn't help but feel an odd familiarity with her. Like love. But I never met her so how could I love her? Unless I don't just know what he thinks but what he feels as well? It is possible I suppose. I heard the sliding door open and Echo came through and stood beside me. She placed her hand on mine and she didn't say anything...at first. She just looked at me as if she knew what I was thinking.

"It had to be done you know. She would've died anyway trying to protect The All Powerful One."

"I know that, I just don't like killing things."

"I know Lu, I know. That's why I love you. You're sensitive. I like that." She leaned over and kissed me, I smiled beneath the kiss and she smiled as well. "What?" she mumbled.

"Nothing, I just love you Echo." she pulled away and replied,

"I love you too. So there's a chance of Blood shed in the forecast for tomorrow, should we clean our coats or just you know leave them as is?" she asked in a joking kind of way.

"Seriously? How can you joke about this? We, Echo tomorrow seals your fate."

"I know doesn't mean I'll necessarily die."

"No, I suppose; but you'll be lost."

"And you'll find me. I just know it." She smiled again and kissed my cheek. "You worry too much. Come inside."

I looked up at the sky once more and a red dot bore down on me. As if it was waiting to expand and suck us into the alternate universe where the All Powerful One dwells.

Echo

I left Luna on the porch, I had pretended to be okay with my prospect of dying tomorrow. But the truth was that, I was scared. I holed up in Luna's bedroom and inhaled her scent. If I was going to die, I wanted a good memory to go to where-ever we Guardians went. I picked up a book off her floor and it was leather bound, and looked old. I opened it, and inside was her diary. Of all her visions. Including ones she hadn't shared with us. These were about me. My death. I snapped it shut afraid to read anymore about it. If I was to die, let it be a surprise. I sat on her bed and laid down against her pillows. The lavender scent of her perfume drifted around me, luring me to sleep against my will.

I dreamt I was in another place. A better place, a place where no one judged you, or tried to kill you. Wolves ran freely across fields so green they looked like gems. Birds flew and sang happy melodies. I looked at myself in a clear lake and my wolf was reflected back at me. My beige colored fur and lavender eyes reflected back at me, and I suddenly knew where I was. I was in a place similar to Heaven. I was in Eternal Life home of the Heroes past. The Land of the Guardians. This is where I will go when I die. I heard a howl and I turned and saw a white wolf be speckled with black and multi colored eyes. Ana.

Echo, welcome to Eternal Life. Do not be afraid.

Why are you here? You betrayed us!

But the Great Ones forgave me, for turning myself in to be killed by my grand daughter.

Snow you mean.

Yes. Echo you will not die tomorrow. My love he does not mean harm, he is just following what he thinks is what the All Powerful One is supposed to do.

How can you defend him? He wants us dead.

Maybe so. But he is hurting now after my death. He will be weak easy to defeat. Heed my words of wisdom, if you do you will not be killed, but taken instead.

Kidnapped. But why?

Selvatore works in odd ways.

Selvatore?

Yes that is his name.

I really must be going Ana; it was good to talk to you. Thank you for the information.

Go now my dear I hope I will not see you here for years to come.

I woke up and the sky was purple, not the midnight plum purple, it was like it was trying to become red. I felt someone beside me and I turned and found Luna there fast asleep. I got up and picked up her diary and wrote a passage describing my dream. Then saying how much I loved her. I knew she would find it. I had no doubt that she would.

I laid down the pen and book and went over to her sleeping form and kissed her. I let a tear slip and I left the room.

Snow*

I sat in the kitchen wondering why my mother was causing so much trouble over the fact of her mother's death. She called me a murderer! She never met the woman. I pushed my cereal around not really exceptionally hungry but Lycan was looking at me worried.

"I killed her mom." I finally said. "She has every right to be angry."

"No she doesn't Snow, the woman abandoned her. She's being irrational."

"I guess you're right. But good Lord, the guilt is immense! Added to the equation the guilt from when you lost your humanity, I'm a wreck." I pushed the soggy food away and put my head against the cold surface of the table.

"You are the most powerful person I know, Snow you can overcome anything. I promise. This battle will not come between us."

"Okay, I promise too. No matter what happens we stick together." I held out my hand and he took it. "Come on."

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see."I smiled coyly, as I led him out into the forest to Wolf Ridge. "No one can see us if we stay human."

"Okay." We came to the Ridge and I sat down, on the blanket I had left there earlier while he took a nap. "What's all this?"

"We haven't actually had a date yet. I thought this would be a good time to do so." He sat down beside me and he took my hand in his. The full moon shone bright over us. It had been exactly two months since our birthdays. Two months we had been Guardians. I leaned over and placed my lips on his. I looked into his eyes and he said,

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I've never been so ready. I love you."

"God, I love you too!" He kissed me, hungrily taking off my clothes and me tearing off his. Our eyes flashing different colors. We were panting heavily by the time we were naked. The light from the full moon made our bodies shine silver, and he looked beautiful like a sculpture, he looked like Adonis incarnate. He was gentle, and we moved in harmony. It was like the purest high you could ever achieve, the process was littered with 'I love you's and kisses. And then both our moments came and we cried out harmoniously "I love you."

We laid side by side, holding hands. He was tracing shapes on my back and I was trying to figure out how to explain the absence of clothing. The Elders and Council had banned us from changing until necessary.

"Where are our clothes?" I asked.

"Torn to shreds." he replied casually, clearly proud of himself. "Don't worry before we left I hid extras underneath the porch. Everyone's sleeping so no one should see us."

"You think of everything." I looked up at the sky and saw a single cloud roll over the moon, it was shaped like a Chinese Dragon and its eyes shone red.

'