Chapter Thirteen: Glass

Snow*

Unlike the rest of her prophecies, Luna didn't wake up. We carried her up to her room, and woke our parents. We were afraid for her, and hoped that she would wake before the All Powerful One brought us to his dimension and killed or kidnapped one of us. Before those we loved were killed, and before someone had to make a decision that could change our lives forever. I was lost in the game we called Life. I had to become the supernatural war hero everyone thought I was, what they thought my traitorous grandmother was. I watched as Luna slept, it wasn't the Death Sleep, I knew that for certain, she would've been changing uncontrollably not sleeping peacefully the way she was now. She looked like Snow White after she bit into the cursed apple. We were her seven dwarfs waiting for her Prince to come.

I didn't hear the door open like I normally would have. I was too upset at the sight of my cousin and best friend looking so frail and weak on her bed spread. I turned and saw Echo inching closer. I wiped the tears away before she could see and I released Luna's hand from my grasp. I didn't know why I did it, Echo had no reason to be jealous...Luna was my cousin--more like sister really. But after what happened with Lycan; I felt awkward around her.

"I suppose you want to spend some time with her." I whispered finally as Echo sat on the window seat.

"Snow, she's your cousin, I don't have any right to derail you from spending time with her." She was right of course, she had no reasonable right to tell me to leave. After-all their relationship went against all our laws. The Elders only put up with it, because we were too young to partner off. I looked into Echo's hazel eyes, they were wet, and glistening with un-shed tears. She loved Luna so much; as I loved Lycan.

"I have to use the bathroom anyway." I got up and kissed Luna's forehead and left the room. I looked back once, before shutting the door-and I wished I hadn't, Echo was weeping...she had thrown herself over Luna's comatose form, and was sobbing her name. Was this how Lycan had looked, when I was trapped within myself during the Death Sleep? I ran down the hall, after shutting the door silently. I locked myself in the nearest bathroom and cried. What had Luna done to deserve this? I mean way must she be the Oracle, the first of her kind? What if this 'gift' killed her? A sudden burst of pure anger flooded through my veins and I slammed my fist into the mirror, shattering it into millions of glass shards and crystals. My reflection was like looking through bug eyes, splintered into millions of shapes, personalities and fates. I let my tears and anger fall freely. I sat on the ground surrounded by mini me's. Blood dripped pathetically from my hand onto the glass shards. I wasn't worried, it would heal by the time I managed to find a bandage anyway.

I didn't hear the knocks on the door, or the many 'Are you okay's'. I just sat there suffering for Luna, and our fate. We didn't ask to be Guardians. Our fate was chosen for us. We had no choice but to save the world that didn't deserve it. The little window above the shower let me know that hours had passed, the once bright summer sun had faded into a red sunset. I got onto my knees to stand, my hand fully healed, when I finally did hear the familiar voice that could save me from anything. The only reason I kept on doing what I had been; keeping strong, taking charge. Powering through. Accepting our fates in stride, never complaining openly...because even if I did, it wouldn't change anything. We'd still be Guardians, we'd still be the Prophecy Children, the Children of the Moon. The Fated Five...whatever they chose to call us on a given day.

"Snow? Come out, she woke up." Lycan called through the door. I got up and looked at my bloodied hands and ran cold water over them and cleaned up the glass with a towel, and opened the door. He looked at my face, then the broken mirror and pulled me into his arms and let me cry into his chest. I wrapped my arms, weak from hugging my knees for hours, my throat dry, I whispered into his chest,