Chapter Four: A Blessing in Disguise

Snow*

I followed Lycan into the woods behind the school and he was already stripping off his clothes getting ready to change into the midnight black wolf. His back muscles rippled with the change, I hadn't seen him shirtless in two years, and then he was a scrawny fourteen year old, who had just started playing football. I looked away, flushing crimson when he dropped his pants. He hadn't seen me yet, too absorbed with his anger to turn around. I started to strip as well as soon as I knew no one could see us. I jumped into the air transforming into the snow white wolf and landed in front of Lycan. He stopped mid stride and sat on his tail I stepped closer to him and was surprised I could hear what he was thinking.

'Travis Dillenholer. With that bitch Charity Bell. Luna and Echo together in the shadows. Snow I'm in love with Snow.' I whined in shock and tried to communicate back to him,

'Don't worry about Dillenholer. Who cares about that slut? Let them be who they are. I love you too Lycan.' I hadn't meant for it all to come out so jumbled; but I was excited at the prospect of professing my love for him; he whined in shock as well and he walked around in a circle around my wolf self and he licked my wolf cheek. I barked in happiness and we ran deeper into the woods. We never left each other's side not for a moment. I saw the sun sinking into the hill tops and thought to Lycan

'Time to head back,' I turned around and ran back to the school grounds where I left my clothes. Lycan was right behind me when all of a sudden I heard a snarl and I turned and saw Lycan face to face with an Unspeakable. He was tall, and as grotesque as the last one I let out a long menacing snarl and then I jumped and aimed for his neck with my teeth. I learned from Mr. Placksworth that our teeth are coated with venom that kills the Unspeakables instantly. I snapped his neck and he fell to the ground. His blood stained the once green forest floor Lycan licked it up. Mr. Placksworth never mentioned why we do this. Maybe the blood of an Unspeakable is toxic and only we can digest it. I smelt the air to be sure we were alone and changed back into my vulnerable human form. I dressed quickly and made sure Lycan was dressed and we made our way out of the woods together hand in hand. We kept looking over our shoulders for more of them. Was this the life we were condemned to live? Constantly living in a state of paranoia of attacks? I wasn't sure I wanted this, but I don't think I had any choice. Destiny, that's what Placksworth said, we had to do this--be who we are because it was our destiny. I didn't want to fulfill this prophecy, I didn't want one of my friends to die. We saw none but we did see our friends, they were in a semi circle around a group of bleachers and Echo was smiling. Like she knew this was going to happen. Luna was squealing and jumping up and down in excitement and Accalia was also doing the happy dance but toned down.She was jealous of course also--but she hid it well. I couldn't help but to smile and I saw Lycan's lip curl up into his half smile half sneer he really didn't like public displays of affection that much and neither did I, holding hands is as far as I would go and the same with Lycan. But this was just so awkward that I let go of his hand slowly but he placed his arm around my waist, claiming me.

"So we ready to start our Friday night? Snow you want to run with us?" Echo asked playfully.

"Yeah totally, Oh and Lycan and I took down an Unspeakable today behind the football field. What did you guys do today?" I laughed nonchalantly at the fact I took down two Unspeakables in one week. Of course I missed a major exam...but by the sounds of things--I wouldn't be needing a human education anytime soon. Lycan didn't let go of me all night well except when we changed. Accalia had driven us to a secluded part of town, just outside the cul de sac where we all lived. Lycan and I decided to freak the others out by telepathically talking to them. They did howl in shock at first but then they fell into it like we did. Our parents didn't really care what we did as long as we told them we would be in our Guardian forms. We came to a creek I had never seen before but Lycan had. He told me he saw it last night when I couldn't go running and the night we all found out, our birthdays. He told me everything how he came across it. We both, Lycan and I changed back into our human forms so we could hear each other's voices.