Chapter Eight: Humanity Returned

*Lycan*

Snow looked at me with guilt in her eyes. She blamed herself for the change in me. She moved slightly to let me into the house. Our bodies brushed and for the first time in three days I felt a strong human emotion, passion. Red hot and uncontrollable, I grabbed her and crushed her lips with mine. Somehow the kiss felt off, like she didn't want me to kiss her, or touch her. She didn't push me away, she just hesitated, and didn't give herself to the kiss. How could I blame her? I killed her friends, and one of our closet adult friends.

"Snow I'm sorry. I couldn't,-"

"Lycan I know, it wasn't your fault, you didn't have your humanity, I know that you did this for me, and the innocent lives lost rest on my soul, not yours alright."

"Snow please, don't blame yourself, it was my decision. The Council will understand."

"What if they don't? What if they strip you of your powers? If they do, how will you deal with it? You'll be normal; you wouldn't know what to do with yourself." Snow caste her eyes to the ground. Worried about me, as she usually was.

"Snow, honey please its going to be okay alright. I went sixteen years without knowing about the wolf. I think I can handle whatever punishment they throw at me."

"Okay. Lycan?" She looked like she knew something that I didn't, but she didn't want to divulge the information. She was afraid, not of me, but for me.

"Yes Snow?"

"Thank you, for waking me. It was horrible in there. In the Death Sleep." That wasn't what she was about to say; but I let it go. Hoping she would tell me one day. If I survived this trial.

"I know, in a way I was there to."I whispered, kissing her forehead. I squeezed her hand as she turned, I let go of her when I saw the look in her eyes; the immense guilt of the souls lost screamed at me silently. I watched as Snow disappeared into the dark hallway, and I closed the door and went after her. I found her in the kitchen, making tea. I watched her for a while, she was crying, and I felt horrible. Maybe I should've let Echo do it. To lose her humanity maybe then I wouldn't feel so guilty about making her cry. I exited the kitchen quietly I didn't want her to see me, unfortunately I ran into Echo, the last person I wanted to see. But now at least I could chew her out about dumping me in my home town without my humanity. At least then I wouldn't have known the people I killed. But would it have been better? To feel guilty about killing nameless people? They still had families, and children, friends; jobs, and pets that they wouldn't have gone home to. All in all, people still would've died...at least now, I have names I can mourn.

"Lycan I am so sorry, I shouldn't have left you behind the bowling ally. I know your beating yourself up, but the headline today should help." she handed me the paper and the headline read,

CAMPERS ATTACKED BY ANIMAL IN WOODS ON FAMILY CAMPING TRIP. FOURTEEN DEAD INCLUDING AMILEE DILLENHOLER.

"How the hell is that supposed to help? Echo, I killed twenty something people, our friends, and my friends! I killed a six year old girl. I don't care if she was a Dillenholer, her blood is resting in my now human stomach," I brushed past her knocking her off balance. I had to wait for my hearing with the Council. I closed the doors of the study and locked myself in. I turned and I was face to face with Luna's father, Valentine and the rest of the Council, including Marcus, my father, and the others. Even the Elders were present.. I gulped and took a seat in the leather reading chair.

"Lycan Taylor Johnston, you have been tainted by the Wiccan."

"You have committed treason against your kind. We do not support the Wiccan faith. Nor should any of our Guardians."