Chapter 19: House guest

As we pulled into the cave I noticed Bats' butler waiting for him a look of surprise crossing his face.
"Sir you brought home a guest?" he asked
"Alfred this is Pyre." he grunted climbing out of his car.
Alfred looked a little taken aback as I climbed out and started looking around, "Sir do you think that's wise?"
"She needed a place to hide out from Joker and I needed to make up for my mistakes." He looked back at me.
"But what happens when the Joker finds out you're hiding her?" Alfred worried
"We'll figure that out when we get there." he sighed.
"Better figure that out sooner than later bats." I mumbled admiring the equipment he had.
"What do you mean?" he seemed suddenly tense.
"I'm pretty sure Harley saw us leaving." i stretched I was surprisingly tired.
"You didn't say anything..." he began
"And what would you have done if i had? She'd already seen me in your car bats." i rolled my eyes "but for all she knows you were taking me to a different holding facility." i shrugged, "either way I'm sure your Nightwing friend didnt exactly slip out with me without being noticed or seen on a camera.... Which means bats Joker already knows you took me from him but he just doesn't know why."
Alfred exchanged a look with batman, "we can try to hide her in the main house sir but what if someone sees her?"
"We wont let that happen."
"Great. Can i get new clothes now or maybe even a bath since i wasn't allowed shower privileges for... Too long." i wrinkled my nose.
"Whatever you need you are my guest after all." Batman sighed removing his suit.
"Sir!" Alfred exclaimed alarmed
"Relax Alfred she's already aware of who I am." Batman sighed hanging up his mask
"And how is that?" He looked at me with an odd gleam in his eyes
"That's what I'd like to know..." He looked at me too as I watched him transform from Batman to Bruce Wayne.
"Uh uh Bats.. Er... Brucey we had a deal." I wagged my finger at him, "my lips are sealed." I made a zipping then locking motion.
He rolled his eyes as I uneasily followed him from the secret bat cave to the Wayne manner Alfred seemed to have an eye locked on me.
I didn't blame him for being nervous I was feeling very similar as I got some odd clothes and was shown to a guest room and locked in.
"Locking the door isn't going to keep me in here!" I called shaking my head.
I got clean and dressed in the clothes that were slightly too big for me but definitely better than the smelly orange jumpsuit I'd been living in.
I couldn't keep my eyes open and was practically asleep by the time my head hit the feathered pillow but my dreams were still plagued with fear.
I was standing in a crater around me Gotham was smoldering and as I looked at my hands I saw white flames I couldn't seem to control.
Then there was that laugh... That haunting laugh that followed me everywhere and I felt a hand grab my shoulder his lips tickling my ear as he whisper, "look at what I created.."
I saw a flash of my mother's lifeless form before it returned to the burning Gotham and I felt a sharp pain in my chest and looked down to see that stupid dagger... The one Joker promised he'd kill me with.
"Your usefulness has run out." I heard him whisper before I heard him and Harley laughing.
My world began spinning the sound of their laughter surrounding and overwhelming me as I seemed to fall further and further into darkness.
"Pyre... Pyre wake up." Someone was shaking me
I started awake to see Bruce shaking me gently, "it's a bad idea to surprise me like that." I mumbled sitting up.
"You were having a bad dream. You were crying." He stood, "also you have a visitor."
"What?" I demanded wiping my face, "I thought you said you wanted my existence here to be a secret."
"Don't worry we both know him and he insisted." Bruce sighed standing
"He?" I asked them I saw the red masked head poke into my room, "oh."
"Pyre! I had to see it to believe it!" He laughed, "what could Batman have possibly offered to you to make this happen?"
I glared at Bruce, "something not worth this."
"Well I'll leave two alone to catch up." He muttered exiting the room and shutting the door behind him as Deadpool jumped onto the end of my bed and perched crisis cross.
I shifted into a sitting upright position keeping a careful eye on Deadpool, "Why are you here?"
"Wanted to see how you were doing." He bounced a little closer.
I arched a brow, "how do you think I'm doing?" I growled, "Congrats you and Bats are already making me regret this decision. It's not worth being hidden from Joker if I'm being constantly hounded."
"Oh come now don't be so grumpy." Deadpool leaned closer
"Am I supposed to be happy? I think grumpy is a pretty good response to what you and Bats put me through." I moved off the bed I was in no mood for these games.
"We didn't know Joker was your psychiatrist." Deadpool sighed, "just wanted to make
sure you were okay."
"I'm peachy." I growled moving to the door but found Nightwing on the other side.
"Leaving so soon?" He asked
"You know I'm not sure why i let you talk me into this. Herod and villains like me don't mix well." I felt a wave of annoyance as he wouldn't let me past.
"You're not a villain simply just another victim of Joker's who got pulled in not knowing what it would mean... It happens to the best of us." He shrugged
"You make it sound so simple. I'm no victim." I rolled my eyes
"Of course it's not that simple, but you are a victim. Whether you realize it or not. You don't have to keep doing everything Joker taught you to." He watched my reaction carefully.
"I don't do anything he taught me to." I growled hands shaking glaring between him and Deadpool who had come up behind me, "I'm doing what have to, to survive you heroes and your stupid villains."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
I clenched my fists, "I don't have to explain myself to either of you."
"No you don't. But it's not going to help you if you keep everything pent up." Nightwing insisted
"Fine." I snarled, "you want to know a little about me? I left the Joker threatening his life for what he did to me. When I woke up the next morning this idiot was there." I jabbed a thumb at Deadpool, "and also bats. I sought help and they locked me in a bomb shelter insane asylum. Because that's the help apparently you heroes give people like me. I learned a very important lesson from all of it though. I am the only person I can count on."
They both were quiet for a little while, "that's not true. You help us we'll help you. You trust us we'll trust you."
"Too little too late I'm afraid. Now get out of my way. I can't stay here." I growled
"It's the safest hiding spot you have from Joker and you know it." Nightwing crossed his arms over his chest.
"Maybe so but who's going to protect me from all of you?"
" Pyre be reasonable.." Deadpool started
"That's funny coming from you." I shook my head, "unless you want Wayne manner to explode and Joker to come sniffing get the hell out of my way."
Nightwing sighed and stepped aside, "we'll still be here you know if you change your mind."
"Never." I hissed slipping past him and heading out of the Wayne manner.