Chapter 12: Torture

The first thing i saw was a bright light that stung my eyes as they tried to adjust to it.
The second thing i noticed was i was chained down to a metal table a dark figure looming over me.
"Deary deary deary deary..." Joker tutted at me, "such potential... Such a terrible breech of trust keeping secrets from me."
I swallowed my mouth felt dry as i blinked trying to see Mr. J clearly.
"What are you talking about?" I croaked wondering how long exactly had I been out?
"Shhhh no no no no." He almost purred as though he were enjoying it a tad too much, "You see I heard you Ember."
"Wha... What? I.. I.." My mind was reeling trying to make sense of everything.
He held up the phone he had given to me early a deadly calm expression on his face.
"I am always listening." he turned his head to show a device in his ear then leaned over the table at me, "So what is this secret of Batman's that you seem to know? And... How is it that you.... You of all people know it?" his threatening snarl sent chills up my spine.
I didn't know how to answer what to say to get myself out of this one.
"It seems our friend has lost the ability to speak." Joker gesture grandiosely to someone i couldn't see but could only guess was Harley, "what do you think we should do first."
I heard tools clinking on a mental table as he ran his hands over them.
"I don't know any of Batman's secrets it's the only thing i could think of saying to stall him.." i began a plan forming in my mind.
"Shh shshshshhhh..." Joker put a finger to my lips, "I'll start listening to the words you say... After we play. And you break."
I clenched my jaw how many times did this clown want to break me.
I heard Harley's giggle as something was picked up, "This one?"
"Do it." he purred at her his hands pressing down my shoulders.
"Careful..." i smiled sadly, "You try to torture me up close like this... And you might just find yourself blown to pieces."
A snarl rose from Mr. J, "We'll just have to get creative. But you will tell me what i want to know."
I gritted my teeth why wasn't i just telling him Batman's secret? I did owe Bat man any favors... I owed Joker the life i had now so what was it that was stopping me?
I started to laugh unintentionally at first but then it became uncontrollable.
"What's so funny?" Joker didn't seem amused.
"You can't break what's already broken." I smiled, "i would've told you anything you wanted me to done anything you wished but instead I'm being threatened with torture..." My smile faded my eyes glinting dangerously as I stared at the ceiling unable to move, "So now let's play a game Mr. J.... You can torture me but i can with stand a lot now a days.. And lets see how long you can keep it up before I blow up and walk out of here..."
"Oh don't worry Ember you're not leaving here alive." he growled
"Once i walk out that door though... I will be my own being not leashed by your wishes and I will make a nuisance of myself."
Mr J. Snarled and i heard pacing steps as he looked over his tools, "hard to be a nuisance when you're dead... But before we get to that you will tell me what I want..." his voice faded as i laughed again.
"We don't know if i can be killed many have tried. As far as you forcing out of me what you want... How are you going to do that? I have nothing that i care about you can use against me." I shifted as much as I could under the restraints of the table, "And if you try to torture me up and personal the way you like i will explode and be the only person to walk out of here alive."
Joker was quite and I was feeling a deep sense of triumph until a low deep laugh erupted from him slowly getting louder more manic.
"Oh Ember I always knew you'd be a fun little gem I could unleash on the world..." He was leaning over me so I could see his face my skin beginning to crawl.
I'd never seen a smile like that on him before his eyes were murderous he truly look.. Crazy.
"Gem?" i growled
"You're not quite there yet... And you know a secret i want to know....As far as you not having anything you care about... Everyone does. Everyone has a weakness and you are definitely no exception." His voice was a low growl the angry smile fading from his face turning it into an unreadable mask his eyes piercing into me.
"Do your worst." i hissed because though i was chained to a table i felt i still had the upper hand here.
"Not just yet..." I could hear him walking then he slammed a knife next to me on the table, "See I have a secret I'm going to now share with you." He ran a gloved hand over the knife, "This knife has killed many many people... So many that most of their names I can't remember some of them I never bothered to know... But you see this knife killed both of your parents."
A sick feeling settled in the pit of my stomach, "you're just saying that... I killed my mom with that knife. You cant trick me."
"Not a trick Ember." he gently ran the knife over my cheek not cutting the skin, "Such a funny world we live in. So many people with strange abilities or suits that make them think they are more than they are. And yet so many go unnoticed. They dont know how to control theor powers so they fear it mich like you and hide... Never known in the world or by the world for the incredible potential they hold... To cause unimaginable chaos."
"You're tangent is cute." i rolled my eyes, "but beside the point."
"It's exactly the point." He dropped the knife, "Your father had powers like you and like you he hid instead of embracing them. He wasn't nearly as powerful as you.... But he wasn't as willing to be lured away from his hiding spot as you were.. He was terrified when i extended the offer i also gave to you. Not ending very well i ended up stabbing him to death. Your mother ran with you.. But she didnt hide as well as she thought... I was always aware of where she was hiding you but you werent ready yet." He started laughing, "you killed the woman who was trying to protect you from the very people who killed your father."
He was holding a set of pictures and i felt a cold rage zing through me.
I couldn't deny his words those pictures were the proof and suddenly I was feeling very sick.