Chapter 11: Victory

Several things happened at once when I exploded in a whirlwind of confusing secession.
Deadpool threw Batman out of the was my phone exploding the shards burying themselves in Deadpool's back.
The ground rumbled from the several explosions that went off around the city.
Screams echoed everywhere some scared some we wails of agony.
The last thing i consciously saw before the blackness of my regenerative process was Batman limping to his Batmobile.
When i woke in a crater in the street I was surprised but breathed a sigh of relief that i was past the pain.
"Well done." I looked up to see Joker staring down at me Harley hanging on his shoulder a huge smile on her face.
"Thanks." I sat up and noticed that the boots and clothes Harley had given me were still in tact.
As though reading my mind Harley giggled, "I had some special clothes made for you."
I smiled getting to my feet and climbed out of my little crater.
"So you got done whatever it was that you were planning?" I asked dusting myself off.
"Indeed." Joker chuckled, "Today is truly a cause for celebration. We won this one."
Something sinister seemed to be brewing behind his eyes as he turned leading us to his car.
I shook my head hoping I'd been seeing things or at the very least that look hadn't actually been because of me.
"We going back to finish our Champaign?" Harley giggled
"I'd say a victory meal is in order..." Joker responded not looking at her as he started up his car, "with fresh Champaign and hopefully this time we won't be disturbed by idiots." a dark chuckle escaped him.
"Yeah." i smiled at him nervously not meeting his eyes, "Hopefully."
"Did you manage to kill the Bat Ember?" Joker's voice was too silky he seemed on the brink of another manic fit warning me to tread carefully.
"He was injured in the blast..." I winced seeing his face twitch in the rearview mirror, "But no I didn't kill him."
Joker straightened the heir of danger around him seemed to dissipate, "Good."
"Good?" I echoed a little confused as I watched him wearily.
"Yes good." Joker smiled, "He needs to suffer before he dies. Wallow in his regrets of not being able to truly save anyone.... And then I will be the one to end him." His fist tightened on the steering wheel the smile that crossed his face malicious as he let out a low hair raising laugh.
"Oh Puddin'." Harley smiled trying to calm the tension flashing me a hard look, "I very much look forward to that day."
"Me too.." He reached over stroking her hair, "me too."
I remained silent the sense of danger that twisted in my guts not leaving me as Joker and Harley talked and laughed and seemed to relax.
Why couldn't I relax? This how things usually were around these two... So why did it feel like Mr. J was becoming more and more aggressive... Unpredictable.
"Oh Ember." Mr. J's silky voice pulled me from my thoughts and I looked up to see him staring at me.
"Yes?" I asked a little reluctantly when he remained silent.
"Did your phone make it through the explosion?"
"No." i shook me head, "sadly it did not."
"Hold out your hand." He smiled at me pulling the car to a stop in front of his favorite place.
Trying not to hesitate or show fear i held out a hand as Joker slapped it.
"Try not to break this one too quickly." He muttered getting out of the car and handing his keys to a Valet, "If i find a single scratch.. I'll kill ya."
I climbed out watching the young boy gulp before nervously getting into Mr. J's car.
Joker wrapped his arm around Harley as he lead the way inside turning to one of the greeters.
"Has my private booth been cleaned up yet?"
"Yes sir."
"Good." he looked back at me and held up three fingers, "three." he beckoned me to follow with a finger as he moved on.
Why was I so nervous I'd been here with them hundreds of times.
I couldnt seem to shake the uncomfortable nervousness today for some reason.
We got to the usual booth and sat down i noticed a slight stain on the floor where that man had been killed earlier.
The waiter seemed nervous as he served us waters Joker waving him away when he asked if we were ready to order yet.
"A toast." He raised his water glass a large smile spreading across his face, "To our Ember. For making tonights affairs an astounding success."
"To Ember." Harley raised her glass.
"Thank you." I raised mine and we clinked them together.
Something was wrong.. My vision was blurring i was confused as the smile from Joker's face turned into a snarl.
"What?" I looked down to see a tranquilizer dart sticking out of my that was when I noticed the gun in his hand as he leaned menacingly over the table towards me.
"You've been keeping secrets from me..." He was so close i could feel his angered warm breaths on me, "you know how i feel about that..."
"What?" I asked head spinning a ringing sound starting in my ears.
"I heard you..." His eyes narrowed coldly, "something about Batman's secret." a growl rose from him, "but I'll get it out of you."
His laughter only made the ringing in my ears worse the last thought as everything went black .. I can't believe he shot me.