3

The large group of strange creatures made their way through the unknown forest, walking two by two, exchanging hushed whispers with each other.

Lucy and Natsu took the lead, their tall figures casting long shadows behind them. Gajeel and Levy took rear, talking quietly amongst themselves. Wendy and Erza were walking along in front of them. Erza was speaking words of comfort to the slightly distraught Wendy. The short, quad-legged forms of Juvia and Gray were right behind Natsu and Lucy. Unlike the others, they stayed quiet.

Gray looked over at the quiet creature, a concerned expression on his face. "You ok?"

"Hm?" Juvia snapped out of her quiet daze, looking up at gray with her large eyes.

"I asked if you were alright. You're usually so... Talkative." Gray fumbled his words, frowning awkwardly.

"I'm just... Overwhelmed I guess." Juvia shrugged her shoulders and looked down at her paws. "Everything is so different. I just want to go back." Her voice shook lightly, but she kept it fairly steady and calm.

Gray sighed and nodded slightly. He could not deny the sense of fear and uneasiness he felt, but he kept his gaze relaxed. "I understand. But things will be alright." He spoke in a blank voice, "We all will figure this out together."

Juvia's eyes brightened and her face twisted into a cheerful smile. "You're right, my beloved. I'm so glad you're here with me!" She exclaimed happily, launching herself at Gray and nuzzling him like a cat. Gray flinched at her sudden action, and froze dead in his tracks as she tackled him. He toppled over, landing on his side with Juvia on top of him.

Natsu turned around with a goofy grin on his muzzle. "Look it, Lucy. They're in looovvvvveeee."

"Gee Natsu, you sound like Happy." Lucy giggled.

"Speaking of that, where are the exceeds?" Gajeel spoke up, his voice curious.

"Dunno. I suppose the spell didn't work on them." Natsu shrugged, looking up and then back down at Gray and Juvia. "So... Gray, enjoying yourself?" Natsu laughed. Gray frowned and pushed Juvia off of him awkwardly. The Water Mage sat up with a look of complete heart-break on her face, and Natsu crossed his little arms unhappily. "Way to go, Ice-Brain. You upset her."

"Hey, you started it by making that dumb comment, Stupid Pyro!" Gray growled, standing up in a defensive pose.

"Wanna go, Ice-Boy?"

"Gladly, Flame-Head!"

"Cut it out, both of you!" Erza leaped up between the two quarreling creatures. Her eyes were filled with cold fury. "We've got more important things to worry about than petty squabbles right now!"

Natsu and Gray stood in silence for a few seconds, before the Fire Mage busted out in laughter. "E-Erza," he blurted out between laughs, "I-I can't take you seriously with those bows and all t-that pink!"

Erza's rage grew, and the long ribbons from her bows started glowing with an eerie blue light. The ground beneath her pink paws began to glow with the same blinding light, and beams of bright blue and pink shot up around Natsu's feet. The Dragon-Slayer began hoping around on his stubby legs, shrieking in fear. The beams, caused by Erza's rage, burned the bottom of his feet. Erza shook her head swiftly, and the lights disappeared in a flash. Everyone stood in awe as she regained her composure.

"S-she just... Used magic." Wendy said with a shaking voice, her eyes wide with fear.

Erza was shaking, staring down at her paws. "I-I don't know how that h-happened. It felt like my magic.. But it wasn't. But I can feel it. Magic power."

"Our new forms can use magic. We've established this." Gajeel said gruffly, "But it appears we don't have much control over it. How the hell are we supposed to defend ourselves if we can't channel our powers?"

"If anyone can tell us about our powers, it's this Dream chick." Lucy said, holding up the job sheet again.

Erza had stood up again, the confidence and determination returning to her gaze. "We just have to keep moving. It'll be dark soon, and we should reach this city before nightfall if we just keep going." She commanded, and everyone automatically fell back into the place they were before.

Gray and Juvia continued side by side again, back to their uncomfortable silence.

"I'm sorry." Gray whispered to her. Juvia just shrugged coldly and hung her head low, fixing her eyes ahead.

(To be continued...)