Chapter 36: Camp Fires

Start from the beginning

I walk back a little more to capture the whole Ferris wheel in the shot when I see Sophia sitting down on the sand facing the water, through the lenses of my camera.

I lift my head away from the eyepiece and look at Sophia. She had a small smile on her lips and I felt my lips twitch too. I look through the eyepiece again and get her in the shot too. I look back at the picture and see how wonderfully the camera captured the moment. I turn off my camera and walk over to where Sophia was sitting and sat beside her. She glances at me but doesn't say anything, looking back at the sun guarded behind the clouds, creating a orange sky over the whole beach.

I look beside me and see how beautifully the sun reflected upon Sophia's eyes, making her eyes turn golden. I turn shift my eyes to the piece of hair sticking out of her braid, wanting to fix it but restrained myself. I watch the way her eyes smiled as she watched the sun and I wanted nothing more but to stop time.

My heart skips when Sophia catches my eye and I quickly look the other way, observing the high waves.

We sit there for a few minutes listening to the waves and watching the sky until Sophia gets up, dusting the sand off the overalls she was wearing. I watch her and she then let's out a hand for me to grab and I take her hand.

She lets go of my hand once I got up from my seat and I instantly feel cold without her hand. She picks up her sandals from the ground and she starts to run away but not before looking back at me.

"Hey where are you going!" I yell at her retreating form. Thinking it was my fault for her running away.

"Camp fire! " She yells back without even turning around. I give out a small chuckle, shaking my head at her before I ran after her.

I catch up and Sophia sneaks up from behind Lucus and jumps on his back, and he grabs onto her legs despite being off guard. I walk up to Skye and hug her sideways but my eyes somehow end back on Sophia's laughing form.

"Guess who it is?" Sophia says into Lucus's ear while covering both of his eyes. He grins and furrows his eyebrows in thought.

"Hmm is it...Elmo. " he says jokingly and Sophia giggles. And I feel a pang of hurt in my gut and look away quickly.

But from the corner of my eyes I see Lucus reach for her hands and holds them while answering her name. Sophia gets off his back and he turns around and she ruffles his hair, Lucus then swatting her hands away. Sophia pouts her lips at him and his eyes soften, muttering sorry. She drops her act and grins at him, sticking out her tongue.

"Hey guys!" A voice yells from across the beach and we all face the person to see Claire, Melissa, Jake, and few more of our friends.

"Oh I forgot to tell you guys, I invited a few more people for the bonfire. " Skye peeps.

They reach the camp fire and Jake says, "The girls made me carry all this." He then puts down the cooler, blankets, and food.

"Well I did offer to carry the blankets, but you refused. " Claire says after hugging Sophia. Jake brings his index finger to his lips and Claire rolls her eyes at him, muttering boys.

"Alright guys let's set all this up. " Melissa says gesturing to the food and blankets.

"Right." Sophia says and picks up all the blankets and I walk over to help her set it up. I take half of the blankets in her and my hand brushes hers, feeling a electricity spark and we both jerk our hands.