Girls vs. Boys (10) - Dance

Start from the beginning

After I had changed, I met with the rest of the girls at the tennis courts where we were supposed to meet. I was glad that Dawson was going to pair us up into teams, because I knew absolutely no one.

“Okay, everyone’s here!” Dawson smiled after she had called roll. “Before we get started, I’m going to put you guys on teams like I said I was!”

Even though I found the sport fun, I really wanted the practice to be over so I could have just gone home. The girls were obviously going to make me go to the stupid dance, so I was going to have to pick out a dress that I was going to wear that night.

“Jordan, you’re on a team with Kara,” Dawson informed me after I had finally zoned back in, and I turned toward the redheaded girl she was motioning to. It was the same girl that I had tried out with, and I smiled at her happily. At least it was someone I kind of knew… She wasn’t in any of my classes, but I knew she was a freshman like I was.

After Dawson had put us all into teams, she assigned us each to a court and had us whack the birdie around a few times. If this was what practice was going to be like every day, I didn’t see the point of coming every week.

By the end of practice, I was actually really tired. Running around and hitting a birdie was a lot more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Wow, if I got tired doing this, I would definitely get
tired if I had to do tennis or any other kind of real sport.

“Good job today, girls!” Dawson giggled as we all shuffled into the locker room after everything was finally finished. “I’m so glad everyone was so glad to be here!”

She was as bright and chipper as she always was, and I couldn’t have felt more like a sack of potatoes. I really couldn’t wait to go home and sleep…

I changed without saying a word to anyone, looking forward to the feel of my soft, warm bed. The much needed rest was exactly what I needed…

“Hey, Jordan?” a voice asked me before I could leave the locker room once I was finally finished. I turned around, a little surprised to see it was Dawson that wanted to talk to me. “Can I talk to you for a moment?”

I glanced toward the door, thinking for a second. Austin and Dallas were both waiting for me in the parking lot… But I guess they could wait a little longer.

“Yeah, sure,” I nodded, smiling brightly at her even though I felt like I was going to pass out right then and there. “What do you need to talk to me about?”

“It’s about Austin,” she started, twiddling her thumbs a lot like Yolanda had earlier that day in our last class. “I was just wondering… um… Does Austin have a girlfriend?”

I kind of expected this question to come from her. The way she was looking at him at the badminton tryouts just made it obvious that she liked him. She was only a year younger than him, so I guess she had a chance…

But then again, I didn’t really know. She was a really pretty girl, but I had no idea if my brother had a girlfriend or not. I was so focused on Dallas and Trinity that I didn’t even pay attention to my
brother’s love life… But if I had to guess, I was pretty sure he didn’t have one… He probably would have been gloating about it if he did.

“Um, I’m not really sure,” I answered truthfully with a shrug. “My brother doesn’t really talk about his love life with me. I could always ask him, if you wanted me to.”

Dawson’s eyes lit up. “Really? Would you, Jordan? I’d be so happy if you did!”

I nodded at her. “Of course I’ll ask him! He’s actually waiting for me outside in the car, so…”