t w e n t y

dinners and dates

_____

"Malcolm asked you out?" Riley's eyes widen incredulously.

My cheeks heat up and I nod sheepishly.

"And you said yes?" she asks, a hint of frustration coating her voice.

"Yes, Riles, I accepted his invitation to be his girlfriend," I tell her, cocking my eyebrow at her not-very-subtle display of irritation.

"Why would you do that?" she grumbles, pouting at me.

"What do you mean by that?" I frown.

"You innocent, innocent child," she sighs, patting my head.

I swat her hand away, scowling at her. "What I want to do or who I want to date is my choice, Riles. Please don't try doing anything funny," I plead.

"I'm your best friend, I will support you in every decision you make," she gasps, appalled. "As much as I support you in being the school's hottest boy's girlfriend, I will also strongly encourage you to end things with him."

"It's not even been a day!"

"You could end things with him next week, I guess," she shrugs.

"That's not the point!" I answer, flustered.

"Never mind, you know what?" she shakes her head, a grin forming on her lips. "You should continue dating him. It might make my plan even more perfect than it was."

"I told you, I'm dating him because I want to, not because of your plan," I purse my lips.

"Yeah, I know, but it's assisting me in my plan," she throws her arms around me and grins widely.

I sigh outwardly. Even I won't be able to stop her from concocting her evil plan.

_____

The news of Malcolm Bradford and Maya Hart being a thing has spread like wildfire throughout the entire school. I swear, the school population can be so much more efficient than school announcements over the PA system. But it does kind of made me uncomfortable when everybody stops and stares every time I walk into a class and a hoard of girls are giving me the death glare.

I sigh and walk into history class, lowering my head and avoiding eye contact with everybody. This is the first class of the day that I have with Malcolm, or with any of my friends, for that matter. Strange.

"Maya!" Riley shouts and everybody turns to look at me. And like I expected, they turn back and start talking, but now they have a new topic to gossip about: me.

I hurriedly walk to Riley's table and bend down. "Riley, you blew my cover! And how could you tell everybody that I'm dating Malcolm?" I say in a rushed whisper.

"I didn't tell anybody!" she frowns. "But I've seen videos of Malcolm asking you out trending on the school website."

"What?" I whip my phone out of my pocket to see if it was true.

A shaky video footage so blurry I can barely tell that who it was in the video, and the static so loud you would have to max out the volume to make out what we were talking about. Oh my God, it was taken from since I walked into Malcolm and almost fell down. Then, there's Lucas who blew up at Malcolm for no reason. Who on earth took this video?