f o u r t e e n

freezers and feelings

_____

"God, I'm so c-cold," I stutter, my teeth chattering. "I feel like we're in a penguin habitat."

"Even I don't feel that cold, do you think it's because of the sheer coldness of your heart that you're freezing?" he taunts, sticking his tongue at me.

"Shut up before I stick your tongue to that metal pole over there," I roll my eyes.

"Whatever, This is your fault any way you look at it," he reminds me, shrugging nonchalantly.

I groan and lean my head against the cold metal wall. "I'm not going to argue with you, because I have to conserve my energy to be warm."

"More like because you know I'm right."

Before I can hurl another comeback at him, I sneeze.

And there's only one thing I can tell you, I sneeze like a duck.

He bursts out laughing but slowly shrugs off his jacket and places it on me.

"Only because I like ducks," he grins and despite myself, a blush spreads across my cheeks as I manage a smile at him.

"Thanks Lucas," I whisper, my breath coming out as white cold puffs of air, still rubbing my freezing hands together.

"Your hands, they're still cold, aren't they?" he chuckles.

Maybe it was his hands so big they seemed to engulf mine entirely, so warm they reminded me of a cozy fireplace. Or maybe it's the spark I felt when his fingers first connected with mine, that mere millisecond of a moment, that seemed to warm me up entirely, from my toes to the tip of my head.

The same spark I felt when he, uh, osculated me.

I immediately pull my hand away at light speed, my face heating up at an abnormally fast pace, feeling butterflies in my stomach.

"Th-that's not needed, really. I'm fine, actually," I stutter, placing my freezing hands on both sides of my face in an attempt to cool my face down.

"O-oh, sorry," he stammers, his own face growing red.

"Shut up," I mutter under my breath, my face still tinged pink with embarrassment.

I stand up, pushing my freezing butt off the icy ground. I think I might have gotten frostbite on that posterior of mine. I hum the soft tune of "Let It Go" under my warm breath as I pace around the room, pulling Lucas' jacket closer to me, trying to gather warmth for my body. At this rate, by the time archaeologists find me, I'd be a popsicle of a caveman.

Lucas stands up too, but of course he didn't see me brisk-walking in his direction, because he decides to walk right towards me.

And before we know it, we collide and Lucas, being the fat pig that he is, pushes me to the ground. My left hand and right hand immediately supports me from behind and cushions my fall. Lucas falls right in front of me, on his hands and knees, his hands on either side of me, his face mere inches away from mine.

His face goes completely red, and so does mine. From this close distance, I can see the minimal amount of pale freckles adorning nose and the little flecks of golden in his pine-coloured eyes. His carefully crafted jawline sits below his somewhat defined cheekbones and his pink lips hang slightly open in surprise.

It was as if the air had somehow gotten colder. Or more like all the air had been sucked out of the room.

The gentle butterflies fluttering at the pit of my stomach has turned into a raging flock of angry ravens, and my heart starts beating at an inhuman speed, my brain unable to think of any words to say.

I feel sick.

Suddenly, I hear the creak of an opening door and I turn my head to look.

Two faces peek out from the side of the door. Sheepish grins plastered on their faces yet their mischievous eyes shift between Lucas and me.

"As much as we'd like to see progress," Farkle coughs, indicating the position we're in right now, "we only told the boss we'd be borrowing the freezer for fifteen minutes, so you have to continue all of that later."

I push Lucas off me and make a break for the door and tackle both of them to the ground, glaring at the two idiots.

"Have you two gone insane?" I hiss at them. "That was the most torturous fifteen minutes of my life. Do you know how cold it is inside that ice jail?"

"Chill," Farkle deadpans, pushing me off and getting up, brushing himself off a little.

"You think I haven't chilled enough inside there?" I stand up, cocking an eyebrow at him.

"Based on what we saw from the surveillance camera, you were warm aplenty," he smirks, flitting his eyes to Lucas standing behind me.

"Yeah," Riley butts in, a playful grin dancing on her lips. "Many thanks to Lucas the Good."

That's when I realise I still have his jacket on me. I take it off and chuck it at him, mumbling a soft "Thanks".

"Couldn't hear you, Shortstack."

"Thank you." A little louder.

"Still can't hear you."

"Thanks," I grit my teeth.

"Fine, I accept your than-"

Interrupted by Riley's squealing, Lucas turns around to glare at her, evidently insulted. Oh God, Riley is letting her inner fangirl show.

"By the way, you still up for some more ice cream, Hart?"

"Shut up, Huckleberry."

_____

a/n:

eh i hope y'all understand the position they were in it's like quite intimate ;)