t w e l v e

third-wheels and trainwrecks

_____

"Remind me why I'm here again," I hiss to Farkle, lowering my voice to a whisper.

"To make sure the date doesn't go wrong," he replies, a smirk curling the right side of his lip up.

"Some major third-wheeler I am right now," I mutter under my breath in annoyance.

Let me help you understand the situation in which I am in right now. Okay, picture me sitting in a booth in Topanga's, got it? Okay, now picture Farkle Minkus sitting on my right. And Riley Matthews sitting on my left.

Awkward.

"Is this even a date anymore?" I groan, rolling my eyes at the two dorks as they steal quick glances towards each other, occasionally catching each other's eyes and looking away, blushing, like it never happened.

"Why, Maya honey, aren't these two dating already? What are you doing here, interrupting their date and everything?" Mom walks over, a notepad in hand as she narrows her eyes at me, glancing at the duo I am currently sandwiched between in. "Also, may I take your orders?"

"Two vanilla milkshakes for us," Riley says and I smile because that's what we always get. Two vanilla milkshakes, it's been that way sinc-

"Maya, quit daydreaming, honey, what are you getting?" Mom's voice interrupts my train of thought and I look up at her to see her raising an eyebrow, a frown visibly forming on her face.

"Hasn't Riley ordered for me yet?"

"Nope," she replies, popping the 'p'. "Only two vanilla milkshakes for her and Farkle."

"Oh," I grit my teeth, "one of those for me will do too."

This is exactly why I hate third-wheeling. It's like I'm invisible to Riles even if I'm sitting right in between her and Farkle.

"Well, well, what do we have here?" a high-pitched voice sneers from behind me.

Missy Bradford.

"A nice 'hello' would have sufficed," I smile a sickly sweet smile.

"I'm sorry, but I don't say 'hello' to mere peasants," she rolls her eyes, flicking some of her hazelnut brown hair back.

"I'm sorry, but I try to avoid associating with assholes, so back off," I deadpan, flicking some of my very own - much more fabulous if I do say so myself - blonde curls back.

"What did you say?" she shrieks, waving her arms around wildly.

I wince at her ear-piercing shriek. "If you don't want to talk to peasants, at least try to act like a person of a higher position."

"No, I will not have peasants like you talking down to me like that, you hear me? Only I can look down on your filthy peas-"

"If you do not know how to conduct yourself in a public space and carry yourself as a proper lady, I could always show you the way to the mental hospital," a firm tone interrupts Missy Bradford's verbal assault.

Ah, Topanga Matthews, always here to save the day.

"Whatever, it's not like I liked this stupid café anyway," Missy grumbles under her breath, storming away in a huff, obviously embarrassed in the wake of what had just happened.

"Wow Riley, when you said this Missy Bradford was a jerk, I didn't expect her to be this much of one," Topanga huffs out a sigh of relief as she sets her mug of coffee on our table, making her way back to Mom to help her.

"Well, that just tops off your trainwreck of a date and makes it extra special, doesn't it?" I grin at the duo, who were both glancing from Topanga to me in admiration.

"I think I'll just be going now, go and enjoy your ice skating, you lovebirds," I chuckle, ruffling their hair.

"Farkle, oh my God, I didn't know you were bringing me ice-skating," Riley claps her hands together with enthusiasm, her dark eyes glinting with excitement.

"Maya, you just spoilt the surprise for Riley!" Farkle whines, sticking out his bottom lip in a pout.

"You're welcome, chump," I answer him brightly as I make my way to the exit. "Also, don't forget to use protection, kiddos."

"Maya," Riley groans, "do you have to say that every single time?"

"What? I'm just telling you to remember to put on your knee pads and stuff, don't want my favourite lovebirds getting injured, do I?" I giggle. "My my, Riley, I thought you were innocent and pure."

I shake my head in pretence of being disappointed and her face immediately heats up.

"Have fun!" I wave to them. "But not too much fun!"

I hear Riley groan in response.

_____

"Maya, you kn-" Lucas starts, but I raise one hand up to stop him from saying any more.

"Hold it right there, Huckleberry."

"Bu-"

"Nope. I am not hearing any of it. I don't want your apology, I don't need your apology."

"Ma-"

"You not apologising makes it easier for me to be angry at you, to hate you, to play another prank on you. I hope you haven't forgotten about our little war here."

"I-"

"Bye, Lucas."

His shoulders slump in defeat as he walks back to his own seat, only to be harassed by Missy Bradford and her complaints about me being "an utter piece of peasant poo" last night. Ah, such a great choice of words. I almost feel sorry for the cowboy for needing to endure through her constant ranting at anyone and everyone. Almost.

"Good morning, class," Mr Matthews walks into class with a cheery greeting.

"Mornin', Matthews," my bright reply stands out among the zombie-like groans the rest of the class muttered.

"What's gotten you all fired up today, Ms Hart?" he smiles, as he silently ticks the attendance list, occasionally glancing up and nodding before looking back down to tick a name.

"Oh, nothing," I reply slyly, yet my inside voice is laughing demonically.

Because he doesn't know of the terrible, terrible, things that are going to happen poor ol' Lucas.

I've said too much, but all you need to know for now is that Lucas Friar will understand what it means to have revenge best served cold.

_____

a/n:

lucaya is great but so is riarkle ok