e i g h t

otps and obscenities

_____

He stares into my eyes as I stare back, speechless and unable to say anything. What was Ranger Rick trying to say? Was he admitting to liking me? Well, this is awkward, I have to tell him I don't feel the same way. Even so, I feel a deep red blush creeping up my neck as I feel his hot breath on my face.

"Well, Huckleberry, I-" I begin to stutter nervously

He suddenly bursts into laughter. "Holy cow, Maya, you should have seen your face when I said that!"

He backs away as the colour red pools into my cheeks, more so than before. "What?" I asks, obviously confused.

"That was all bogus, Maya, you're too naïve for your own good," Lucas chuckles.

And suddenly I get it. He was trying to mess with my feelings by pretending to have called me Blonde Beauty in front of his mother; he dragged his own mother into this whole prank war that totally doesn't concern her at all. And he embarrassed me, making me look like a fool.

I have to resist the very urge to kick him in his crotch again but I decide to be the better man - or girl, whatever - and storm out of the room.

"Come on, Maya, I was joking," he calls out after me and I hear his hurried footsteps following me.

I walk past his mother in the living room and she spots me. Dang it.

"Leavin' in such a hurry, darlin'?" she asks me with a warm smile. "We were thinking of having you over for dinner!"

How could such a nice lady have such a jerk of a son. "I have to go and run some errands, but thank you very much anyways," I sigh.

"Anytime, darlin'," she nods her head sympathetically and shows me to the door and as I leave, I see Lucas right over his mother's shoulder, and once again, my emotions are wrecked like the Titanic.

_____

"What the hell?" Riley looks at me with her eyes blazing with fury, her fists clenched by her sides. No, Riley isn't angry at me, she's angry at Lucas.

Dumb ol' Ranger Rick who's probably sitting on his high horse laughing about how similar my face looked like compared to a tomato yesterday. He caused poor, innocent Riley Matthews to swear.

"Wow, I can't believe this! Lucas Friar is such a jerkwad! I can't believe I used to like him!" she growls and slams her fist into the wall. Feisty. "But at least I have Farkle now," she sighs dreamily. "Yesterday's date was perfect."

"Oh! Tell me about it!" I say, desperate to change the topic.

"It was dreamy," she fans herself and I can tell she's resisting the very urge to squeal. "And the date was so absolutely romantic!"

What a lovesick puppy.

"Back to you, Maya, why do you think he would mess with your feelings like that?"

"What? How would I know?" I scrunch up my face at her.

"I think it's because Lucas Friar has the hots for you."