s e v e n t e e n

death and diners

_____

"Good mornin', Shortstack!" Lucas chirps as I enter the classroom, his chair haphazardly balancing on its two hind legs.

Normally, you'd see me throwing in an insult or two here. Bonus: I'd probably shove him off that chair too.

But my face turns red and I immediately sit down and turn to the blackboard, to shield my face from being seen by him.

"You seem," he pauses, "incredibly tame today for some reason."

And as much as I want to turn around and punch him and his perfect face, I stay frozen in my seat, unable to do or say anything, my mind going blank.

And of course Riley decides that she has to intervene at this point of time.

"Lucas, don't you get it?" she asks dramatically, slamming her hand on Lucas' table. Drama queen.

I turn around to see the scene unfolding before me. Curiosity etched onto his face as Riley fake-faints and Farkle swoops in dramatically to catch her. Stellar performance, I must say. But I had better get her away from Lucas before she lets the beans out of the bag.

"You're about as stupid as Maya," Riley gets up and knocks him on the head. "But she says 'let the beans out of the bag' so not really."

Wait. Isn't it 'let the beans out of the bag' and 'spill the cat'? I'm still quite confused on that matter.

Anyways, I have to stop her. I try winking at her but she didn't catch on, unfortunately.

"Do you have something in your eye, Maya?" Lucas turns to me.

The moment I make eye contact with him, I swivel my head back around, cheeks flushed.

"What? Riley, what's happening?"

"Oh, you dense pig. Maya's having an allergy reaction," Riley sighs.

"I didn't know the bad girl could be allergic to something," he mutters.

"Yeah, she's allergic to-" Riley hesitates, clearly unable to think of something.

"Grapefruit," Farkle butts in. "Maya's allergic to grapefruit."

Wow, Farkle, you're such a lifesaver. Thank the heavens.

"Grapefruit?" he asks quizzically.

"Yes?" but Riley's answer seemed to be more of a question.

"That's the scent of my new shampoo!" he reveals.

"Oh," Farkle answers lamely.

"Then you'd better get away from her, before her face swells up and explodes! She will die!" Riley exclaims, adding an explosion noise to the end.

"Pretty sure that's not how allergies work, Riles, but Lucas, you have to stay away from Maya right now, because it does cause swelling and irritation, and she's lost her voice too," he explains, giving Lucas a crooked smile.

"Wow, I had better change my shampoo," Lucas mutters, guilt seeping into his voice.

"There is no need for that, Huckleberry," I say, pressing a forced smile upon my lips.

"Bow down, peasants, for Missy Bradford is here!" an annoying, high-pitched voice pierces my ears, interrupting the conversation.

"Stop referring to to yourself in third person, it's creepy," I say, to which she responds with an incredulously unladylike snort. "And only flying monkeys need to bow down to the Wicked Witch of the West."