e i g h t e e n

boys and bonbons

_____

"I'm going over to your house to study today," Riley says. It's more of a demand than a question, so naturally I have no choice.

I nod absentmindedly, chewing on the end of my pencil as I try to solve the math question in front of me. Come on, Maya, you know this.

"Except that we're going to study tactics to get your Sundance to fall for you," Riley bends down and whispers in my ear, her hot breath tickling my ear.

On instinct, I bring a hand up to cover my ear. Except Riley was in the way.

"Riley! You know my ear's the most sensitive part!" I whisper-shout, my face growing hotter by the second.

She brings a hand up to nurse her red cheek. "Were you aiming to hit yourself this hard?"

I give her a stone-cold glare before going back to attempt the damn math question. Key word: attempt.

"Maya, this is really easy," Riley scoffs, patting my head as if I were a child. "This is why we need to go to your house to study this afternoon!"

"Yeah, as if this were going to be the main topic of our study session later on," I sigh, bringing a hand up to flick her forehead, which she unfortunately dodges.

"You know it, Peaches!" she winks.

_____

"Why are they here?" I grit my teeth, glaring in the direction of the two boys siting on my bed who seem to be oblivious to my presence.

"Because I invited them!" Riley claps her hands together, delighted.

"If we were going to study tactics, then why are these two dumbasses here?" I lower my voice to an angry whisper.

"I thought I told you we were studying," she grins mischievously. "What were you thinking in that dirty mind of yours, Maya?"

Did she just make me sound like I was the one who came up with her psychopathic perverted idea? My cheeks flush crimson and I'm at a loss for words. I need some chocolate to calm down. I spot my glass bowl of bonbons and snatch one, unwrapping it in a second and popping it in my mouth.

"If you eat one whenever you get stressed, you're going to grow fat," comments Riley, she herself prying the crinkly silver wrapper open and tossing it into the trash.

And obviously those two pigs sitting on my bed decide that they're entitled to my bonbons too because they grab one for themselves too, mumbling their thanks while chewing my chocolates.

Suddenly, I hear a shriek of laughter from behind me. Somebody jumps on my back, laughing like a madman. Riley?

"Maya! You have such pretty hair, can you give me some?" she slurs before beginning to tug on my hair harshly.

"Ouch! What the hell, Riles?" I try shrugging her off, but forget that she has an iron grip on my hair so she pulls me down with her. And now I'm stuck in a really awkward position.

She's lying on the ground, giggling like a child, cheeks flushed, and I'm on all fours, hands on either side of her. Okay, this is a very suggestive position, Maya is out. I start to stand up, wondering why Riley is acting so strange.

Suddenly, she reaches out with both hands to grab my face. "Maya, did you know that you're really pretty?" she giggles. "And your lip gloss looks really good. Can I have some?"

"Uh, sure," I answer hesitantly, but just as I'm about to get up to grab my lip gloss, she starts pulling my face towards hers at an alarming speed. Okay, just what the hell is up with her? But there is a bigger issue at hand, what is she trying to do?

And just like she read my mind, she puckers her lips. What. Is she trying to kiss me? As much as I love you, Riles, I don't love you that way.

Anyways, I have to get away. All of a sudden, I stand up, shocking her and making her fall. She yelps and winces, pouting at me. "Maya, I thought you loved me," she cries, rubbing her eyes.

Okay, there is something seriously wrong with her. From the corner of my eye, I spot something shiny. Hurriedly, I bend down and pick it up. Oh, it's the chocolate wrapper. Before I toss it into the trash, I read the small cursive writing on the front: Whiskey Bonbon. Wait, is she drunk? On an alcoholic chocolate the size of my thumb? I had better get those useless pigs Lucas and Farkle to help, are they not seeing this?

"Hucklebe-" I turn around to see a wide-eyed cowboy grabbing onto my right calf and viciously sniffing it.

The blood immediately rushes to my cheeks, turning my face as red as a tomato. "Uh, H-Huckleberry, that's my leg you're sniffing," I stutter, earning me a high-pitched 'woof!'.

Oh my God, he's drunk too? That doesn't change the fact that he's hugging my leg. Try as I might to shake him off, he doesn't budge and instead grabs it even tighter.

"Farkle, help me! Are you blind?" I ask desperately but all he does is turn and look at me, a blank look on his face, muttering something under his breath.

"Based on polls I've seen on Twitter, the chances of a cucumber winning the presidential elections if it entered as a candidate is well over 70%, so if I try and run as president of America, there should be more than a 83.51% of me winning the elections," he mumbles.

Wait a minute, is Farkle Minkus drunk too? Shit. I can't deal with three drunk people at once. I'll just have to hold them off until they crash. At least Farkle isn't bothering me.

I'll go and get some aspirin in case they get a hangover. How they managed to get drunk over a tiny piece of candy is unbelievable. Remind me never to show them these lethal confectionery again.

When I return with some aspirin, Riley and Lucas are wrestling on the floor over who gets to eat the last whiskey bonbon on as Farkle sits there, watching them with a blank stare, his mouth moving rapidly, as if he were chanting incantations under his breath. Freaky.

Wait, the last whiskey bonbon? I look over at the glass bowl and realise that it's completely empty. My jaw drops. Their mouths are smeared with chocolate and there are wrappers littered everywhere. Just now, they might have been a little tipsy, but now they're full-on drunkards. I shouldn't have trusted them enough to leave them alone.

Oh God, this only happens in books, so why the hell is this happening to me?

_____

a/n:

wow this was quite fun to write :') whiskey bonbons are actually really good you should try one i'm not liable if you get drunk though