n i n e

emotions and equations

_____

Here I am, having spectacularly fallen on the wonderful Lucas Friar, hands on either side of him, having nowhere else to look but his face. Wow, my mother wasn't kidding when she told me that falling down would land me in a very awkward (and intimate) position.

"Uh, well, this is awkward," I say, chewing my bottom lip. "I'd best get up."

To my surprise, his face is also flushed with embarrassment, green eyes widened with shock. "Yeah, you should get up before my mother sees us like this. It might cause a huge misunderstanding." Thank God it isn't too bright in his room or he'd be able to see me red as a beet again.

And a round of applause for my great luck today because at this very moment, because of the poor lighting, I trip over a balloon (how I managed to do it, I don't know either) and fall forward while Lucas is trying to get up.

"Get out of the w-" I shriek before collapsing into him, my lips crashing into his.

My eyes widen at this, my cheeks flaming with embarrassment and shock. It's the same for Lucas.

At this moment, the door decides to burst open.

"What happ-" asks a panicked Farkle before he sees what's going on and looks away, embarrassed.

"Oh my God, guys, keep it PG over there," Riley smirks, folding her arms.

"Please, Riley, don't think I don't know what you did last night," I grin, pushing myself off of Lucas, earning a loud "Oof!" from him, but what just happened is still nagging me from the back of my mind.

"What? We didn't do anything!" she retorts incredulously, snapping me back to reality.

"Calm down, Riles, I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if you and Farkle, you know, did the thing," I wink at her exaggeratedly.

"Maya Penelope Hart, I - I am still a Virginian," she says, her cheeks blotched with red.

"Virgin," I correct her.

"I knew that."

"Thanks for the balloons though," Lucas pipes in from behind me. "I mean, I would totally know what to do with a million damn balloons."

"Whatever, Huckleberry, you were scared as hell," I tell him.

"No."

"Wait, are we really going to ignore your kiss?" Riley narrows her eyes. She's all business today.

"We didn't kiss!" Lucas and I shout in unison.

"What's this I hear about kissin'?" asks a curious Mrs Friar as she peeks her head through the door.

Desperate not to let her know about our "kiss", I quickly cover up with "Oh, you know, it's just that Riley and Farkle make out really loudly."

"Wait, wha-" Riley's eyes go big but her and Farkle's mouths are covered by Lucas as he flashes his mother with a pearly white smile.

"Oh, but your father was one of the finest cowboys I ever met, did me in with that first kiss, he did," she sighs dreamily and goes out.

I exchange glances with Lucas and heave a huge sigh.

"You guys had better take a vow of secrecy, because if this gets out, I'll be ruined, I don't want people to know these sacred lips were contaminated by his," I tell Riley and Farkle, earning a hard glare from Lucas. "Anyways, that was all an accident, I tripped and fell onto Ranger Rick, that's all."

"Fine, I can accept that explanation, Peaches," Riley says. What an understandi- "But why the hell did you have to go and tell Darlene some dumb lie about me and Farkle making out too loudly? Rest assured, we most certainly do not make out as loud as you think."

"So, you do make out?" I ask, raising an eyebrow and plastering a smug smirk onto my face.

"Oh, yeah," she says, not understanding the severity of what she's saying. Meanwhile, Farkle has gone completely red.

Suddenly, it dawns on her and she goes as red as Farkle. A pair of ripe cherries, adorable.

_____

Just as I'm going to sleep, I hear my phone's text tone with only one message from Farkle.

Farkle: do you like him?

Do I like him? I don't know. Well, I guess I do like him because we hang out a lot, but there's no way I like-like him right? All I can do now is play dumb.

Maya: like who?

Farkle: don't play dumb with me.

Smart ass.

Maya: as in like-like?

Farkle: yes.

Maya: no, i don't like him.

Farkle: i wish that i could help you with this. but lucas is confusing even me. i can't come up with a formula or an equation for this, sorry maya.

I run my hand through my hair and sigh, switching off my phone and setting it on my bedside table, flopping back onto my bed and closing my eyes. Oh, Lucas Friar, what are you doing to me?

Yawning, I fluff up my pillow and get ready for bed. I turn on my cat nightlight - yes, Riley gave it to me, how'd you know? - and drift off to sleep, my mind clouded with only one person. Lucas Friar.

_____

a/n:

this is a great chapter ain't it you thirsty shippers