Part Eleven: I Promise

Start from the beginning

Ausitn pulled up into the gravel driveway and shut the engine off. "Can I borrow your notes over night? I'll give them to you tomorrow."

"Yeah, sure. Want to go inside to get them?" I asked as I observed the garage. The door was open, and a truck was missing.

The entire farm seemed like a ghost town; no cars, no horse riders, nothing. The eerie silence creeeped me out, so I quickly got out of the car, and opened the door to the porch for Austin and I.

"Where's everyone?" I heard Austin mutter and look around the perimeters. I simply shrugged, and unlocked the front door.

"I don't know - no one told me anything about being out today." I opened the front door and looked inside the house.

Everything was in place, and clean like it usually was. Not a sound was heard making everything weirder, and I looked into the kitchen. "Hello?" I called out.

"Hello?" Austin called out too, as he peeked into the hallway.

Nothing.

"I'll go get the notes, and call my family in a while." I dissmised myself, and walked into my room to retrieve my notes. Nothing in the house was out of place and not a single person was in sight.

I got my English notebook from my bed, and walked back outside to the living room with Austin. "Here." I handed the notebook to Austin and pulled my phone out of my front pocket. "I'll be back in a while. I have to make a call."

I stepped outside of the house, and quickly dialed my mother's number. It rung a few times before sending me to voicemail, making me call again before finally someone picked up. The person on the other side of the line sniffeled, and a loud slam was heard before they cleared their throat.

"Hello?" It was Pricilla.

"Hey, where's my mom?" I asked.

She took a deep breath and paused for a while before speaking again. "Dad's in the hospital right now - we're all with him."

We're all with him. Lies. We all weren't with him - I was standing here just now finding out why there was no one at home.

"Why wasn't I called? What happened?" She cut me off before I could ask anymore questions.

"I left school early and we just got here. I don't know what happen exactly," She paused for a second to catch her breath. "but I know its the usual - its his digestive problems."

It was bound to happen again. I gripped onto the railing of the porch and took a deep breath. "Where are you guys, I want to go."

She calmed down for a while, and finally managed to tell me where they were. I quickly hung up the phone, and walked back inside to find Austin sitting on the couch flipping thru one of the magazines that was left on the table.

"Austin, I need a favor?" He looked up from the magazine. "Can you please drive me to the hospital? Its an emergency?" I begged.

* * *

As soon as I told Austin I needed to go to the hospital, he was confused, but did agree. Even though I didn't show it, I was scared out of my mind. What would happen to him? Will he be okay? The questions ran thru my head, but I got no answers .

On our way to the hospital, Austin would glance in my direction occasionaly and give me a reasuring smile that I would try to return. I bit onto my fingernails, and tapped my foot against the floor.

"I don't know what's wrong, but I promise everything will be alright." Austin said as we got out of his car when we got to the hospital.

He joined me, and held onto my shoulders as he walked behind me to the enterance of the emergency room. Even though it was awkward that Austin was so close to me, I quickly shrugged it off and quickly made my way to the front desk.