8. And I'm In Riddles

"I knew it was too good to be true," dad says as we all sit down on the couch. It's now the 28th and Cheryl and I have just gotten back from our little adventure in London. This time we decided to make a stop off at a little town somewhere - don't ask me what the name of it was because I honestly would not be able to tell you - and now we're back. "London is never that cheap."

"You wouldn't think that the pictures on the website could be that deceiving though," I reply with my brows drawn together. I'm kind of putting off asking dad if I can drive back to London for New Year's Eve, because I honestly have no idea what he'll say. I'm an adult - well, technically - so I shouldn't have to ask, but this is a family holiday. And dad is awfully protective. "Anyway, the funniest thing happened. I was just - having a look at some clothes in a shop when I got a call from Cheryl to which of course I answered-"

"You weren't together the whole time?" Dad's voice echoes through the house.

"Well, just let me finish! It's so funny!" I start giggling as I think back to what happened. "So she called me, and I picked up, as I said, and she starts whispering to me, saying; 'I'm in a change room at Zara, can you please come over', so of course I go," I pause to giggle again and dad and Sally already look impatient and bored with my story. 

I can't help that it takes me ages to explain things. "She had a dress on that she couldn't get off!" I think my laughter can be heard back in Melbourne because Cheryl, who is sitting next to me, is wincing a little bit. 

I just find this whole scenario really funny because although Cheryl is super hyper and overexcited all the time at home and in the presence of family and close friends, she is really shy in the company of strangers and would never ever have the courage to ask a staff member for help. Who knows what she would've done if she was by herself. I find myself laughing a little bit again as I picture it.

Am I drunk or something? 

Honestly, what has gotten into me? I've been giggling like a little toddler all day. Maybe it's because I'm newly on the pill for my bad period pains or something? Can that make you feel loopy or am I just crazy?

"Can we just drop that subject please?" Cheryl pleads, her face a deep shade of crimson. 

"Fine." I pause for a second, wondering if now is the time to ask about going back to London. I guess it's better asking now, a bit in advance rather than like the night before or something. "Hey dad?" I say extra sweetly.

"Yes..." He eyes me suspiciously, urging for me to continue. 

"So I ran into a friend that I met at that Christmas party while Cheryl and were in London, and, he invited me to a New Year's Eve party that his friend is hosting." I leave it at that for now. There's no going back. It's out there. 

Now, we wait.

Dad is silent for a few seconds and Sally is trying to hold back her smirk, I can tell.

"He?" Is all he says. Shit. I could've just used Gemma as the friend I'm talking about! As you can see, ladies and gentlemen, this is a blatant example of how protective my dad is. I tend to just not mention any male figures. That keeps dad happy, and it keeps me from feeling very uncomfortable. Win, win.

"Well, he invited me, but I'm actually friends with his sister who will be there too," I half lie, because it kind of is true. I'm not actually friends with him, so...yeah, I guess it's true. Well I'm technically not friends with either of them but lets not nit pick. 

"Wait a second." Dad frowns. "New Year's Eve?" He asks.

I nod slowly.

"You do realise we're in Paris for New Year's, don't you?" My stomach drops. I completely forgot. But I don't know how I could have since going to Paris has been one of my life long dreams. Even though I'm so desperate to go Paris, maybe I should just go a day later. I mean we still have quite a few days there, and it's not like we have any particular plans for that night, so it can't hurt, can it?