5. Dreaming Out Loud

This is the most free I've felt in so long. Surprisingly enough, an empty lot filled with luscious green grass is located outside Amelie's back gate. Nobody's around. It's just me, Gemma, and...

...Harry.

"What do we do now?" I ask the two of them, completely breathless after running through those entire gardens as well as the house. Harry and Gemma look at each other.

"Well, we could always just go to that park we used to go to..." Gemma suggests to Harry.

"Perfect! Let's just hope no one's there," Harry says, his face lit up.

"So, you guys come here a lot?" I ask hesitantly as we begin walking. I can't help but notice his long, lean legs as they take big strides. 

"We used to come here all the time when we were little, because, y'know, it's only about an hour away from where we grew up, but, life's kind of...gotten busier," Harry's voice is as deep as ever, and sounds even better in real life than in videos or interviews. Not that I watch many of them...

"It's really pretty," I begin. "It's nice to get away from city life." We suddenly turn a corner and Harry - who is walking next to me - almost bumps into me. My heart is pounding out of my chest.

"Sorry, Miller," Harry puts his hand on my shoulder before continuing. "So you live in Sydney?"

"Melbourne, actually," I reply.

"I love Melbourne," Gemma pipes up after not speaking for a while.

"Me too - although, haven't really seen much of it...y'know, when I go I'm usually too busy to sightsee..." Harry's voice trails off, and I'm about to say something, but he keeps going. "That reminds me...what were you about to ask me before my sister so rudely interrupted us?" Gemma playfully glares at him, and he just smirks at me.

"Oh...um, I think I was going to say that I never went to one of your...you know...concerts, when you came to Melbourne," I look at the ground.

Harry laughs. "Oh! Well, not to worry. We'll be back soon enough," he winks at me, and I have to look away again. Breathe. I need to be normal around this guy. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

"We're here," Gemma says, and I look at her, pointing to the open oval with hundreds of trees surrounding it. Luckily for Harry, nobody is there. 

"Let's race to the middle!" Harry says, and before I know it, he's flying off, his curly locks flowing behind him. Gemma glances at me, and begins running too, so the only option I have is to run as well. 

I can feel the cool breeze brushing against the small percentage of my naked skin, and it's making me feel alive. I was always a great runner in high school, so I easily catch up to Gemma, and then to Harry, who worriedly looks at me, obviously not wanting to lose and taking this more seriously than Gemma and I. I speed up even more, laughing at Harry as I go, and I end up beating him.

I let myself flop to the ground as I reach the middle of the oval. That was satisfying.

"Wow, you're really fast!" Harry's eyes are wide.

"I'm full of surprises," I say back as both Harry and Gemma sit down next to me. I pull out my phone to see a few missed calls and a text from dad. Great. Here comes his overprotective side.

From Dad: where are you? we're going home early, leaving now

Are you kidding me? I don't want to leave just yet. This has been the most fun I've had in ages.

"I think I have to go," I tell the pair with a depressed tone. And it's true - I am depressed about this. 

"Where are you staying?" Gemma asks me as we all stand up, wiping the grass off our clothes. 

"I have no idea...Well, we've been there, but I don't know how to get there from here."

"What's the address?" Harry asks. "We might be able to walk you."

I rack my brain to think of the address, and luckily enough, I somehow remember it. "24 Crescent Avenue," I tell them.

"That's right near that cafe we used to go to! Same street!" Gemma says to Harry, who soon realises.

"We can walk you!" Harry kindly smiles at me, and I am overjoyed. Harry and Gemma Styles are going to walk me home! Well, not to my actual home, but this still counts. I thank them profusely, and we begin walking again.

------------------

"This is it," I say as we reach the cottage. I'm now realising that I probably won't see either of these two again. "It was really amazing meeting you, and thanks again for walking me home." 

Gemma goes in for a hug, and says, "Hopefully we'll see you again, Miller. What's your last name?" 

"Jacobs. Miller Jacobs," I tell her nervously, and all of a sudden, Harry pulls me in for a hug. I can't breathe. Partly because he's holding me so tightly, and also because he smells so amazing. Like roses and mint...

"Bye, Jacobs Miller Jacobs," he teases as he pulls away, and I feel myself blush as I giggle. I wave one last time to the two of them, and they reciprocate this. I turn slowly to face the cottage and walk down the driveway. As I reach the front door, I look back one last time, seeing Harry and Gemma walking away. But Harry's still looking at me.

------------------

"Miller! Where were you?" Sally asks as I slam the front door shut. Her, Cheryl and dad are all sitting in the lounge room.

"Sorry! Lost track of time. I was just with Joseph and a few of his friends," I lie. I'm a pretty good liar, I think. I stand by the edge of the couch that they're all sitting on, unable to take the smile off my face.

"That's fine, just text us next time," dad says, surprisingly calm. Usually he'd be fuming by now.

I run upstairs to my room, and soon after, Cheryl comes in, a disbelieving look on her face. 

"You weren't with Joseph and his friends," she scoffs. "I saw them upstairs watching TV in his room."

Those bastards! I knew he was lying about finishing a "project"! 

"Ok..." I say, taking off my coat and shoes, hoping she won't press for more information.

"Who were you with?" Dammit.

"Just this brother and sister I met. We just went to the park. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to have a shower. Then I'm probably going to sleep..."

"Hey wait! I think I know what I'm getting for Christmas!" Cheryl whispers to me. Thank God we're off that other topic.

"What?" I ask.

"I saw an iPhone 7 box! I hope it's for me, because I asked them heaps, and if it's for you, I'll be really annoyed - like what else would they get for me?!" Cheryl is panting by the time she finishes that sentence. I don't blame her. She was speaking faster than I've ever head her speak before.

"It's probably for you," I tell her. "I didn't ask for anything. I'll probably just get money." I make my way to the bathroom, and I hear her squeal in excitement. God, for a 17 year old, she really does act like she's 10. I snicker to myself before closing the bathroom door behind me.

-\-\--\-----\\\\--\\\\------\\\\