Introduction

-12 years ago....

I sat on the couch hugging a pillow close to my chest, my face nuzzled firmly into it as my wide eyes followed my parents. I didn't understand at the time what was happening as my mom sob screamed at my dad who was following her around the house. He had been trying to reason with her as she hurriedly threw clothes and her belongings into a suitcase then began pacing around the living room.

They spoke in very hushed voices my mom continually motioning to me and the black spot in the living room where my 'accident' had happened. "That's not normal." I kept hearing her hiss and then plead in a voice she thought I couldn't hear, "We could give her to foster care, start over... She doesn't have to be our problem.. T-that thing..."

Tears and snot were soaking the pillow I was clutching as I watched frozen and unable to move from where I sat. My dad had defended me till the end trying to console my mother and assure her that they could teach me to control it.

Shaking her head tears streaming down her cheeks as she collected the rest of her things she locked eyes with me lip trembling, "That thing, whatever she is... Is not my daughter." Those were the final words she said as she fled the house into the night slamming the door behind her.

I remember burying my face into that pillow and scream wailing as my father chased after into the street my little heart breaking for the first time. When he came back his face was pale and his eyes were wide as he shuffled dully till he settled next to me on the couch. I fell asleep that night in his arms as we both just sat there in disbelief and cried.

-5 years ago...

I stared down at my hands trembling my green eyes wide trying to process the crumpled bodies of the children around me. Moments before they'd been shoving me, trying to rip my bag out of my hands, laughing, and calling me names. Before I even knew what was happening one pushed me hard enough I hit the ground and a feeling rose up from within me I'd never felt before but haven't been without since.

My pain seemed to tear out of me tearing my body apart with a loud boom as around me erupted lighting up like a firework. My body mended itself almost as instantly as it'd torn itself apart leaving not a single mark on me as I stood in the ring or scorched corpses.

"Phoebe?" My father's husky horrified voice sounded as he dropped the bag he was carrying and rushed towards me his eyes darting all around trying to see if anyone else had noticed us yet, "What happened?" He asked grasping my young arms roughly and shaking me.

"I don't know..." I wailed as he dragged me away from the others prodding me rather forcefully towards his truck and shoving me inside.

"It's getting worse than we ever thought..." He muttered almost to himself as he started the truck then pulled away from the school tires screeching, "We can't stay here anymore, it's too dangerous." He grumbled but his his unspoken words hung between us 'You're too dangerous.'

-Present day

My father sat in his usual arm chair a bottle of whiskey nestled between his legs as he stared dully at a blank T.V. screen. This is the way he usually was now especially on this day, when this day of the year came around he wouldn't lift his hands to work on a single car. He wouldn't work, answer calls, eat, or even move really.

If he so much as caught a glimpse of me he would start yelling, rise from his chair, waving his bottle around, and cursing at me. So I knew better than to disturb him as I finished frosting the cupcake I'd make and crammed a candle into it, carefully watching my dad trying to avoid making any noise that would startle him or alert him to my presence.

I lit the candle quietly then picked up the pastry and moved out of the kitchen adjacent to the living room and retreated outside through the tiny laundry room. Outside smelled worse then inside but it was worth smelling the junkyard over risking a fight with my dad as I settled on the hood of a broken car.

We'd moved here after I had accidentally killed those kids the only thing within a five mile radius of the enormous junkyard we lived in was just some old abandoned factory that reeked. I stared at the candle for a moment before taking a deep breath and blowing it out.

"Happy birthday Phoebe." I muttered to myself dully casting the candle aside and digging into the cupcake. I sighed wondering how much longer my dad would stand to have me here before he'd just snap and kick me out.

"Phoebe!!!" He roared throwing the backdoor open the smell of whiskey clouding around him as he swaggered jerking his head around searching for me. I did't have enough time to slink off into a hiding place when his eyes landed on the car I was settled on top of. Something about his eyes were off, they weren't their usual drunk glazed over eyes, they were wide and fueled with hatred.

"Dad..." I muttered getting to my feet balancing awkwardly on the teetering car green eyes narrowed anxiously as my stomach did flips.

"Twenty miserable years..." He muttered through his teeth raising a gun I hadn't noticed in his hands eyes narrowing, "I'm done. I should've listened... I should have listened to your mother..."

I felt a cold chill flash through my veins as I leapt off the car without another word or glancing back and began sprinting into the junkyard. My heart felt as though it would thump its way right out of my chest as I went I barely noticed my quickening breaths as my mind raced a million miles a second.

My usual hiding spots wouldn't work I realized with a twinge of fear flushing over me another cold chill rolling down my spine. So climbing the hill I heard a gun shot ring out behind me making my heart practically skip a beat, dipping my head as though that would somehow protect me I pushed forward.

Reaching the road I could hear my father's drunken bellowing in the distance behind me as I pushed myself to run as fast as I could possibly manage towards the old abandoned factory. My lungs were burning and I could feel my muscles starting to ache my speed starting to slack as I panted risking a glance behind me. He was waving his gun, hollering, and stumbling as he struggled to even do a quick walk let alone give way to a full on chase.

I hoped the growing darkness would mask where I had gone to hide in the enormous factory and buy me just enough time for him to give up or pass out to make my real escape.

.