Chapter 15

"Taylor!" Maddi ran up to me as we walked into the school. It was Monday, and I hated it. I really hated the fact that I knew Christian was going to try to talk to me.

    "What's up Maddi?" I smiled at her and she walked beside me, her long hair twirling in the wind. I messed with pieces of hair that hung in my face.

   "Good news! My dad is moving  here a week from now! We found a good paying job near our house which is accepting new workers!"

   "Great!" I was excited for her, but at the same time, I was a bit  jealous. I watched my feet as we walked into the school. I wish my dad could just... come back.

   I set my bag down by my desk in the strong vanilla-smelling classroom. I cringed at the huge list of assignments on the board and their due dates.

   "Our first project will be a writing project," Miss Violet pointed to the list on the  board and opened a folded sheet of paper. Then, she scanned the room, looking at all of us. "Chloe, you are with Jordan. Maddi, you're with Christian. Taylor, you're with Jaden. This project will be in partners."

   Immediately, Christian started moving over to Maddi. I heard him whisper, "Do you want to be with Jaden? I wanted to be with Taylor." His attempt at being sly and quiet failed.

   "Oh sure!!" She smiled, and I remember her telling me she thought Jaden was pretty cool. I couldn't help but blush. Christian wanted to be with me? His hand shot up in the air.

   "Miss Violet!" Christian yammered. "May I switch partners? I mean, Maddi's cool, she just wants to be with Jaden." He glared at me, and I hastily turned my attention to something other then him.

   "I suppose... is  Taylor fine with that?" She looked at me, and I nodded.

   "Sure." I replied casually. I smirked as he walked toward me. "Why did you want to be my partner?" Suddenly his eyes grew and his face became pale.

   "What? No, Maddi wanted to be with Jaden..." He sat in the  desk which was faced towards me, and set his stuff on the floor. 

   "Mhmm...." I answered, exaggerating my sarcasm. I brushed back my bangs and veiwed his embarrassed eyes. 

   "You heard..?"

   "Of course. You couldn't have been any louder." I chuckled.

   "You got me. Now, about the project," He changed the subject. We both turned to Miss Violet as she passed the project directions out on our desks.

   Directions: With your partner, you are to think about your five senses. (Hearing, scent, touch, taste, sight.) Describe what a  peaceful day at the beach would be like. If it is possible, go to a nearby beach or shore so you can vividly describe your experience. Take a few pictures, then start prewriting your five senses assignment. Then using your draft, make a poster labeling each of the senses and describe each. This will be due in 2 weeks. If you have questions or concerns, please speak up.

      "Yes, Maddi?"

   "What if we don't have access to a beach?"

   "I'm giving you two weeks, and it's summer. I would think that you would be able to go... but if your absolutely incapable, observe your backyard instead." Miss VIolet pushed up her glasses so they weren't hanging at the edge of her nose, but they went and slid right back down again. Maddi nodded.

   "Hear that Taylor?" Christian smiled. "This should be fun. I know a beach near my house."  I was silent for a moment, But then I caught him blowing air across the desks, moving my paper slightly. He gasped a big breath, then blew harder, knocking the paper off the surface. I watched as it swayed back and forth before gently landing on the ground. I rolled my eyes and  bent  down to pick it up. When I came up and looked back at him, he snickered, and I was engulfed by his smile. I didn't know whether I should hate him or find him utterly attractive.