Chapter 3

She tilted her head.

   "Me and Parker miss Mom and Dad. Parker said he wanted them to come back from the very long business trip they were on!" Oh, clever me.

   "Is Parker alright?" Her tone of voice was soft, and sweet, yet she didn't seem convinced.

   "Yes, he is just upset."

   "You read it... didn't you?" It hit me. She knew. The thoughts mixed throughout my head. I couldn't take this in. What do I say?

   I froze. My heart stopped. I stuttered nervously. "R-r-r-read w-what?"

   "The laptop was left on in the basement. Why would you lie to me?" Her tone drifted into anger.

   "I didn't want you worrying grandma." I shook my head. I hated calling Mary grandma because of the fact she basically played the role of a mother. But, it usually made her happy.

   "Does Parker know too?" Now she was concerned.

   "Well, uh, I can't lie. He knows."

   "Taylor, do you know what you have done? You have scarred an 8 year old boy." She scolded.

   "I wish I would have known when I was his age. I wish I would've known about this when I was that young Mary! It's better knowing early. He doesn't understand yet!" For some odd reason I was enraged at her. I was tempted to throw something at her.

   "Taylor! Calm down! I-" She was interrupted when I threw a pillow at her face.

   "GO AWAY!!" I buried my face into my covers and covered my ears. I was so confused. I just wanted to be alone. Mary stood for a minute, with a dazed look. Then, she tapped the pillow with her foot, and walked out of my room.

   "Taylor," Mary sounded serious. "You can't miss any more school." I pulled an ear-bud out of my ear, but still stared down at my phone. I hid my tear soaked face from her. Black smudges of mascara overlaid my cheeks.

   "I understand, Mary." I sprawled out across the bed so Mary couldn't sit on the edge of my bed like she usually did when she was TRYING to comfort me.

   "We need to get you on antidepressants."

   "No." I retorted abruptly. "I'm not depressed." I squinted my eyes at my denial. I knew I was, and it was clear to Mary. My hair still veiled my face so she couldn't see the faces I continuously made at her.

   Finally, I agreed. After a few weeks of mournfulness, I came back to school.  

   "WHAT? SUMMER SCHOOL?" I widened my eyes in disbelief.