Chapter Twenty Four

Jerome's POV:

We all walked into the pitch black cave. Seto's hand lit up with purple light. I could see only two or three feet in front of me. The path grew narrowed and narrowed as we continued, until it was difficult to traverse. I ducked down to avoid hitting my head. I felt a hand slip into mine. I looked back to see Mitch behind me.

"I don't like the dark..." He mouthed.

"Than why did you come?!" I hissed.

"I...I didn't want you to....I wanted..." he spoke in a hushed voice, so no one else could hear, but he fumbled with his words.

Despite the purple light, his face was clearly flushed.

"Guys come on, don't lag behind," Skyler said softly, her voice echoing in the confined space. I turned my head back around to face forward, and walked faster, however I didn't let go of Mitch's hand. He didn't pull away either.

We continued to walk, and it seemed to get darker and darker the farther we went, if that was possible. Wind whistled, making an eerie atmosphere. Our footsteps were deafening. All at once Seto held out his arm, and we all stopped, confused. Seto peered into the darkness, confusion and concern etched onto his face.

"Seto, what's wrong?" Ty asked quietly. Seto started to reply, but then a huge gust of freezing wind blew through the cave, and the flame in Seto's hand went out, throwing us into pure darkness. Mitch let out a little squeak, and I jumped. I stepped on a loose rock, and fell. My hand was ripped out Mitch's, and I tumbled off the edge of a ledge or something, and than I was free falling. A scream pushed it's way out of my mouth. Someone shouted my name. I hit stone, hard. I lay on my side, trying to push air back into my lungs. I could faintly hear my friends voices, but they were far away. How far did I fall?

I had landed hard, my arm twisted underneath me. It hurt. A lot. I lay there curled up in a ball for a few minutes. Eventually, I tried to sit up, only to scream in pain, and lay down again. My eyes burned with unshed tears. I cradled my arm against my chest, resting my forehead on my knees, and I whimpered softly. I stared at the rocks around me. Large boulders and small stones were illuminated by a blue light.

Light!

I looked up in surprise. A small ball of, what seemed to be blue fire floated about four or five feet in the air, casting a blue hue over everything. I slowly stood up, my back pressed against a large boulder. I took at few steps towards the light, and it winked out. Another one appeared a little further away. More were beyond that, making a small trail. I followed the lights, my footsteps echoing eerily. The cave twisted and turned, getting increasingly narrower. I ducked under a low hanging ledge, and then stopped, all words escaping me.

The cave opened up into a enormous cavern. An underground lake took up most of the ground. Plants covered the floor and walls, all dark colors like black and green, or glowing with blue or purple light. Mushrooms climber the walls, adding reds and pale browns to the mix. Tiny crystals were embedded in the walls and ceiling, making it seem as though I was surrounded in stars. Hundreds of the little blue flames floated around, bobbing and weaving, diving underneath the surface of the water, and then shooting up, causing a cascade of shimmering water to fall. Everything was slight blue from the flames light.

My mouth was hanging open in shock. The lights buzzed around me, and tiny whispering voices danced around in my head.

Do you like it?

It's pretty, isn't it?

You're so lucky to see this!

Isn't it amazing?

"I, uh... I'm batshit crazy!" I murmured.

Tiny giggles floated around me.

Come play!

It'll be fun!

The little orbs swarmed around me, tugging on my arms. I stumbled forward.

Let's play in the water! The voices crooned.

My sneaker filled with cold, wet water as I accidentally stepped into the water. An orb zoomed at my face, and I fell backwards onto my butt, landing with a splash. I tried to stand up, but another orb tripped me, and I was sent sprawling into the water, which was surprisingly deep.

COME PLAY!

GO INTO THE WATER!

SEE HOW PRETTY IT IS?

The orbs shrieked in my head.

Than all at once they grabbed me, dragging me underneath the surface of the water. I thrashed, desperately trying to get free. I couldn't see, the water was so dark and murky. I kicked, trying to get back to the surface. My head broke the surface of the water, but I was instantly dragged down again. I screamed, bubbles floating out of my mouth and spinning around me. The orbs buzzed and shrieked gleefully. My head and lungs burned. My eyes felt heavy, and a nauseating feeling filled my stomach. And than I couldn't move. I forgot where I was. A sense of urgency filled my head. I felt like I was trapped. But in what? I tried to move my arms, but they didn't respond. Than I was grabbed, and pulled out of the lake.

Ty's POV:

Seto's light went out, and then Jerome started screaming. Seto's light quickly appeared once more, but Jerome was gone. Mitch was on his hands and knees, peering over the edge of a ledge.

"JEROME!" He shouted.

Seto's eyes widened.

"Did he fall?" He gasped, rushing over to the edge. Within two minutes, Seto had us at the bottom of the drop.

We shouted Jerome's name, but didn't get an answer. Skyler went running off down the only other tunnel branching off of this area. We all followed her, panic setting in. After a minute or two of running the tunnel opened up into a huge cavern, and an underground lake. A group of blue flaming orb things floated above one part of the lake, and kept diving underneath the water. The water was all stirred up, and bubbles were popping on the surface. Before we could stop him, Mitch dove into the water, and started swimming quickly towards the section of water. The orbs scattered. Mitch dove downwards, for for a few terrifying seconds, he didn't come back up. Than he was out of the water, half carrying, half dragging an unconscious Jerome. Mitch collapsed on the bank.

"H-he's not breathing!" He said, his voice filled with panic. Skyler rushed to Jerome's side, and knelt next to him. She rested her hand on Jerome's chest, and purple light washed over him.

"He will be alright, don't worry. Magic works better than any form of CPR," She said.

"What happened?" I asked. Seto was watching one of the orbs which buzzed around his head angrily.

"These are Will-O'-the-Wisps," He said softly.
I assume Jerome follow them, and then almost drowned."

"S-so if we didn't get here when we did..." I didn't finish my thought.

Seto nodded silently.

"Thank you for your quick, although rash actions Mitch," Skyler said, standing up. "Jerome will be unconscious for a while though."

The Will-O'-the-Wisps flew around us angrily, however they didn't get closer than ten feet away.

I watched them silently. How could things that were seemingly so innocent, be so evil?