Chapter Nineteen

I love you all my fans! 8 votes from the last chapter in less then two days! :)

Chapter 19

Firestorm

“The storm’s coming! The storm’s coming!” Lilacpool’s shrill voice rang around camp. “Quick! Carry as much prey as you can and hide in the dens! Now!” Firestorm yowled as she grab a starling and a squirrel in her jaws, before rushing off to the Nursery. She was one of the cats who will take care of the queens during the storm. The other cat is Nettlesplash. He was behind her and managed to grab a vole before dashing after her.

Firestorm had recovered a few moments after she collapsed on the ground a few hours back. She continued to rebuild the Clan, until Lilacpool let out the cry of alarm. In camp, cats scattered around everywhere to get to their dens. Reedwhisker grab a scrawny mouse before retreating to the warriors’ den.

Firestorm spotted her leader’s dark blue-gray pelt disappear into her den. “Where’s Echomist and Sagewhisker?” Rockshade gasp. Firestorm turned around. “Where are the kits?” “Echomist and Sagewhisker brought their kits out to gather moss for our nests!” Rosetail mew, her eyes widened. “No!” Firestorm gasp as the three fresh-kill in her jaws drop to the ground. “The storm!”

She dashed outside, calling her mother’s name, along with Sagewhisker’s name and the kits. “Echomist!” Firestorm yowled. She had no time left. The blizzard was coming up! “Get in!” Firestorm felt a shove and she tumbled into the Nursery. “Echomist! Sagewhisker!” Firestorm gasp.

“Where’s the kits?” Her mother’s eyes were distraught as she drop Wolfkit and Snowykit next to Rosetail, who immediately started licking her siblings dry. “We will find them.” Sagewhisker’s voice was heavy as she drop Hazelkit and Eaglekit. She nosed her son to Rockshade and Nettlesplash. “When Lilacpool yelled the warning to the clan, the kits were so frightened they ran away, deeper into the forest.” Echomist shook her snow from her pelt.

“Firestorm, stay here with Nettlesplash and the two queens. We will be back shortly!” Nettlesplash blinked. “But, that’s crazy!” he meowed franticly as they disappeared in the blizzard. Suddenly, Firestorm gasp. “What’s the matter?” Her sister, Rosetail asked, nudging her. Her own kits were mewling. “Riverdapple said that two queens and four kits will die!”

Rockshade blinked. “That’s not true,” She pointed out. “There are only three kits missing.” “Echomist and Sagewhisker went outside to look for Echokit, Sagekit, and Tinykit. That makes it two queens and three kits! That’s bad enough!” Nettlesplash whispered. “I need to go out and look for them.” “No!” Rosetail meowed, grabbing Firestorm’s scruff.

“You’ll die!” “Rosetail, they are going to die!” Firestorm struggled. “Please! They might still survive! There is a higher chance that they will find shelter somewhere. I promise that they will live,” Rockshade meowed, nudging all the kits and Rosetail to the warmest part of the Nursery. “Right now, our priority is to take care of the kits! I can’t lose you, Firestorm!” “Where’s Echomist?” Wolfkit and Hazelkit whimpered.

“Where’s Sagewhisker?” Eaglekit whimpered as he rested his chin on his paws. “Nettlekit?” Rockshade nudge her kit. Nettlesplash licked his daughter. “She’s asleep. You three queens curl around the kits to keep them warm.” Firestorm blink at the tom. “I am not a queen,” she muttered. “They need warmth!” Rockshade meowed, licking Poppykit, one of Rosetail’s kits.

“I will keep a lookout for your mother and Sagewhisker and the other kits,” Nettlesplash promised. He sat near the entrance of the Nursery as Firestorm dragged the starling, squirrel, and vole with her as she curled around Wolfkit, Snowykit, and Hazelkit, her litter-mates. Rockshade nose Nettlekit and Eaglekit to her belly, while Rosetail shivered next to her sister.

“I hope my kits survive,” Rosetail pressed against Firestorm, who was looking at Mistkit, Hailkit, and Poppykit. Their eyes were still closed. “They’re so fragile, I am not even sure they’d survive,” Rosetail whispered in Firestorm’s ear. “You seem like a good mother,” Rockshade mumbled to Firestorm, who licked Wolfkit’s head.

“I am not a mother!” Firestorm grumbled under her breath. The gray queen flicked her tail. “That’s too bad, then,” Rockshade’s eyes dimmed. “Because it fits you well.” Firestorm tried to ignore her, turning to her brother and sisters. Wolfkit was as big as an apprentice already. His sisters Snowykit and Hazelkit were almost the size of him.

Firestorm begun washing herself as she wrap her tail around her siblings. Suddenly Firestorm heard a faint wail in the distance from the Nursery, followed by a yowl. “What was that?” She blinked. Nettlesplash shrugged. “Probably some prey that got stuck in the blizzard,” the tom quickly meowed from the entrance.

Firestorm sniffed the small vole that Nettlesplash took from the fresh-kill pile. She gently nose her brother and sisters towards it. “You must eat,” Firestorm meowed softly. Wolfkit and Hazelkit sniff the vole and begun to tear the meat apart.

Snowykit, however, didn’t move a single muscle towards the fresh-kill. “Snowykit?” Firestorm gently prodded her younger sister with her paw. “Are you okay?” Rosetail reached out and sniff Snowykit’s head. “She’s dead, Firestorm,” Rosetail meowed heavily, her eyes dull. “She’s... dead?” Firestorm choked. She buried her nose in Snowykit’s white fur, feeling grief rushing into her. “How can she be dead?” Firestorm whispered softly.

As Firestorm and Rosetail watch Wolfkit and Hazelkit murmur to Snowykit, Nettlesplash stood up. “Where are you going, Nettlesplash?” Rockshade meowed in surprise. “I am going to find Echomist, Sagewhisker, and the three kits,” Nettlesplash dip his head. “I’ll be back shortly, I promise.” Rockshade thrust herself forward and stopped in front of him.

“Please don’t go,” she whispered, staring deep into her mate’s eyes. “You might get hurt!” Nettlesplash ruffled his fur. “Rockshade, how many times must I tell you..” he trailed off in annoyance as Rockshade tried to block his path again. “I won’t get hurt!” he darted past her and hurried out of the Nursery. Rockshade padded slowly back to Nettlekit, her head bowed.

“He’ll be fine,” Firestorm heard her sister murmur to the gray queen. Nettlekit, now awake, press against her mother, comforting her. Rosetail sighed. “I know how it feels,” Firestorm perked her ears. Smokemist is the father of her kits right? Firestorm tried to remember the conversation between Rosetail and her. But why doesn’t he make a move to tell the clan? Why doesn’t Rosetail admit it? Could it be possible that her kits' father is not from MistyClan?

Make me a banner for any character! The winner will get a dedication on my next chapter!
10 votes this time! Think you guys can make it? :)