Chapter Five

Firestorm

Firestorm padded into camp, the sparrow she caught dangling in her jaws. Mudstep was beside her. “So,” He meowed behind a mouthful of hare fur. “Why do you think Thrushwing retired? He’s not that old. He doesn’t even have kits or a mate yet.” Firestorm drop her sparrow as she stop in her tracks. She bowed her head and shut her eyes tightly.

“I..” She whispered, feeling hot. “I don’t know,” She finally meowed after a long, awkward silence. Mudstep’s eyes searched Firestorm’s face. “Okay,” He meowed. “I was just asking anyway, Lead,” Firestorm gaze up at him. “You don’t have to call me Lead,” She replied.

Mudstep snort. “Whatever you say, Lead!” He laughed and ran to the fresh-kill pile to drop his hare. Firestorm flick her tail and picked up her sparrow by its neck. She drag it and lay it down on the top of the fresh-kill pile. ‘The first kit will be Sparrowkit,’ Firestorm stumbled back, her eyes widened. “Who said that? Who are you?!” She cried.

‘By the misty land of MistyClan, a great storm will approach after Thrush fall. Fire will rise with leadership and respect. All cats will respect her, except Fire’s greatest enemy who will rise with hatred and jealousy. The enemy will try to destroy her until her very last breath. Fire will make the biggest mistake before Deputyship, and she have to choose between her kin or her clan,’

“Get out of my head!” Firestorm shut her eyes, shaking her head angrily. Riverdapple rushed over to Firestorm. “Calm down, Firestorm!” She meowed, placing a paw on her shoulder. “Calm down,” The white medicine cat whispered. Firestorm open her eyes.

Around her, cats watched with anxious eyes, their expressions worried for their Lead Warrior. “I think you need a check-up,” Riverdapple mew softly. Firestorm blinked. “No, I’m fine,” Firestorm bit her lip. “As your medicine cat-”

“As your Lead Warrior, I command you to go back to what you were doing before,” Firestorm fixed the medicine cat with a glare. Riverdapple flicked her tail. The medicine cat held her gaze with Firestorm before backing away, shrugging. “Okay,” She whispered and turned to pad back to the medicine den, her apprentice Whitepaw watching with scared, blue eyes.  

Firestorm looked up. The sun was sinking at the horizon. She sat down and wrap her tail around her paws. “Firestorm? Is it okay if I lead the evening patrol? Just for today?” Firestorm turned around and sniff. Her sister Rosetail sat down heavily. “Uh sure—” Firestorm stopped herself. She had to meet Blazeheart that night!

“I mean.. no, Rosetail,” Firestorm stood up. “Aren’t you suppose to be in the Nursery now?” Her sister flicked an ear and sigh. “Fine,” She meowed. She heavily push herself up and padded to the Nursery, pushing past the heavy layer of brambles that covered the entrance.

Firestorm scan the camp. Cats were padding into the dens to sleep. She spotted light brown tabby fur of Thrushwing, sitting next to the fresh-kill pile, gulping down a mouse. Firestorm quietly hid under a bush near the camp entrance. She waited until Thrushwing finished his meal and watched him pad inside the warriors’ den.

She jump out of her hiding place and dashed out of camp. Firestorm’s pace slowed when she scented the familiar scent of the SunClan deputy. The SunClan deputy was sitting on a rock across the MistyClan border. “Blazeheart!” Firestorm hissed. She poked her head out of the bush. “Blazeheart!”

The ginger warrior was yawning, his eyes half-closed. He lay down on the hard surface of the rock and closed his eyes. Firestorm growled under her breath. She jumped into the river and swam to SunClan border. She padded out to the shore and shook Blazeheart with one soaked paw. “Wake up, you fish-breath!” Firestorm growled. “I don’t have much time! I need to get back to my Clan!”

Blazeheart blinked open his eyes and shook his head. “Oops.. sorry Firestorm. I felt tired...” Firestorm shook with anger. “I’m tired too, deputy. Why did you insist to meet me?” Blazeheart sat upright. “Well.. do you climb?” Firestorm met his gaze, her eyes filled with fury. “Of course I can! I can swim and climb trees!”

The deputy frowned for a moment. “What do you mean? MistyClan cats can only swim..” Blazeheart blinked. She just told an enemy that MistyClan could climb! “Uh... I meant.. I don’t know how to climb!” Firestorm felt herself burning. “I can teach you,” Silence. Firestorm face Blazeheart again.

So this is it? She thought angrily. Just to talk a friendly talk when we could just do it at the gathering tomorrow night? Firestorm growled. “This is just a waste of my time,” She hissed. She flatten her ears to her head. “So I just come and meet you here in the middle of the night for a friendly talk?” Blazeheart’s green eyes searched her face.  

“I didn’t mean—” “I will report this to Mistystar!” Firestorm interrupted. “Right now!” She turned away. But before she could leap into the river, Blazeheart jumped up and pinned her down. “Let me go, you idiot!” Firestorm yelled. “If you tell Mistystar, you would get in trouble too, you know.” Blazeheart meowed calmly.

“What do you mean?” Firestorm snarled. She curl her lip and tried to struggle, but the huge warrior push his paws harder on her back. “Think, Firestorm.” He sigh. “She’s gonna ask you why you were talking to me in the first place, and why you met me here when you are suppose to be asleep.” Firestorm wriggled out of the warrior’s grasp.

“You do have a point,” She finally meowed. “But I’m still going back to MistyClan!” Blazeheart took a step closer to her. “Please stay! I can teach you how to climb, and you could teach me how to swim!” Firestorm froze. “Have you gone crazy?” She yelled. She bared her teeth and let out a snarl. “Teaching you? An enemy?”

Blazeheart held his gaze. “Please? I’ll race you to that tree there!” He pointed an ancient oak tree ten badger-lengths away with his tail. “Unless you are too slow,” Blazeheart smirked. “Go!” He yowled and dash to the oak. Firestorm hissed under her breath. She wasn’t going to let this fish-brain beat her!

Firestorm sprang up and dash to the oak. She dash past Blazeheart and leap up the oak, touching a branch with a paw. Than Firestorm landed gracefully on the ground. “I win! Beat that!” She smirked. Blazeheart panted. “You’re fast,” He mumbled, his eyes shone. “So you think you can teach me how to swim?”

Firestorm puff her chest and held her head high. “We MistyClan cats are the best!” She boasted, smiling. She turn around and she accidentally swipe her muzzle across Blazeheart’s muzzle. Firestorm jumped back in surprise. “I’m so sorry,” She whispered, biting her lip.

“I.. I must go,” She turned away. No sooner she jumped into the river, the SunClan deputy yowled out, “It’s alright, and I’ll see you at the gathering tomorrow!”

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it