Chapter Eighteen

Chapter 18 is dedicated to DangerclanSharpstar for the fifth vote!

Blazeheart

“Flameleap’s dead!” The news spread around camp like a fire in the forest. “She still had moons to go before she leaves!” “Have StarClan lost their minds?” “Why bring an innocent elder to her death?” “Silence!” Sunstar roared from the high-rock.

The whole clan turned to face their ginger leader. “Flameleap’s death is a tragedy, I know,” Sunstar begun. He looked down and nod to Brackenfur, Sandwhisker, and Birdsong, the children of Flameleap. They had their shoulders hunched, but their eyes were clouded with sorrow and pain.

“SunClan honored Flameleap. She was a very brave and loyal she-cat. She will be missed for her gentleness and her believes of what’s right and wrong.” Owlfur sat near the body of Flameleap. Blazeheart noticed that his the brown warrior’s pelt and paws were wet, dripping with water. “But what will we do?” A cat from the back called out. “We have no more elders!”

“Silence!” This time, it was Blazeheart who yowl. “Sunstar is speaking. Show your respect to your leader.” As Sunstar dip his head to his deputy, a small, frail voice was heard. “I wish to join the Elder’s den.” “Timberfur?” “And I should’ve retired long ago, and join Flameleap before she joined StarClan.” Blazeheart just realized that the brown tabby is old. He just never noticed that. 

“Very well,” Sunstar bowed his head. “Timberfur, is it your wish to give up the name of a warrior and become an elder?” Timberfur nodded. “It is.” Sunstar jumped down the high rock. “Your clan honors you and all the service you have given us. I call upon StarClan to give you many seasons of rest and peace.”

As cats padded away to give their respects to Flameleap, Sunstar yowled again. “Tonight is the gathering,” he meowed. “No. There is no gathering tonight,” Brackenfur meowed from behind Flameleap’s body. “StarClan warned me about a storm tonight, and the worse thing is that it’s sundown already.”

“What?” Sunstar gasp. The whole clan erupted with cries. “How come you never told us?” Brackenfur slap his tail against Owlfur’s mouth. “MistyClan will have the most losses but we will only have one.” “What?!” This time, it was Blazeheart and Owlfur who yowled out the loudest. “Why didn’t you tell me?” they asked Brackenfur at the same time.

Brackenfur swipe his tail. “StarClan just gave me a sign,” the medicine cat snapped back. “And we’ve already lost Flameleap, which means that we don’t need to worry anymore!” “Why are you so interested in MistyClan, anyway?” Willowstripe narrowed her eyes at the deputy and the brown warrior.

“Nothing!” Blazeheart and Owlfur mumbled at the same time. “Anyway,” Sunstar continued. “We shall not go to the gathering tonight. We will do it next moon.” “Brackenfur, Sootfeather, Sandwhisker, Birdsong, and Blazeheart. We need to talk, remember? About Owlfur.” Sunstar meowed.

He jumped down the high-rock. “Brackenfur, Sandwhisker, Birdsong,” The three siblings look up. “I will give you a few minutes to grieve before you three will join us in my den,” Sunstar mew. “Right now, we need to have a very important discussion..” Sunstar meowed to the following cats. Blazeheart started to follow Sunstar, but Dawnpaw, his apprentice, nudged him.

“When will we start hunting?” she asked him. Blazeheart nodded towards Bearclaw. “Bearclaw is taking Graypaw around the territory. Go with them first, and I shall teach you how to hunt.” His apprentice’s eyes shone and she ran after her sister and her sister’s mentor. Blazeheart padded after Sunstar. He entered his leader’s den and sat down next to him.

Behind him, Sootfeather, Brackenfur, Sandwhisker, and Birdsong padded in and they settled close together.

“I thought I gave you a few moments to grieve?” Sunstar meowed in surprise. “We want to do this now, so that we can grieve for her after we do this.” Brackenfur meowed. Sunstar flicked his tail. “Alright,” he meowed, eyeing the five warriors one by one. “Let’s discuss Owlfur’s future now.”

I want to see 7 votes now :)