“Katrina are you okay?” he asked checking me over to make sure I hadn’t hurt myself or something.

“Yes… yes I’m fine.” I said shakily. I looked to see that I was still in his room but there were more lights on this time.

“I was down stairs and I heard you crying.” He said concerned. “Then when I got here you were screaming. What happened?”

I smiled to myself. “The king of fears wants to know what frightened me?” he relaxed and smiled.

“Yes, I do.” He said softly and I could see in his eyes he meant it. Looky at that, Scarecrow had a soft and caring side.

“They were just nightmares.” I frowned more at myself than anything. “Nightmares about my parents and friends. But worst of all is that face.” I shivered and Jonathan wrapped me in a hug catching me completely off guard.

“Who’s face?” he whispered.

“The man who attacked me two nights ago, the man who killed my parents.” I was barely able to breath. He scared me so much, because I didn’t know anything about him. I was able to stay sane for the most part here because I knew something about everyone here. But when I didn’t know, that’s when I was truly afraid of people.

“Nightmares go away Katrina.” John tried to comfort me.

“Not these.” I whispered. “They haunt me in the day too.” John frowned and ran a hand through his hair.

“Katrina, I’m so sorry.” He said sadly.

“For what?” I asked cautiously.

“At the ball, when I gassed you, my device messed up. I gave you nearly three doses. That’s enough to put down two fully grown elephants.” He stopped and looked at me. “When we got you here you were having a panic attack and I injected you with an antidote I had been working on. I now know the side effects of it.”

“Which would be.” I prompted him.

“One, you will have my fear toxin in your blood for good, so your sense of fear is more active than a normal persons. Two, you’re immune to being gassed and injected with the toxin. If I’m correct, it’s bonded with your blood cells and so your body is using it as a weakness and strength. What you feared before will terrify you now, but you won’t really be able to become scared of anything else.”

“Sounds like an even split.” I said thinking it over. “Well thank you I guess.”

“What?” he head snapped up.

“Thank you. In all honesty I wasn’t scared of much before. The guy who tried to kill me, the death of my friends, becoming completely insane and joining your clan thing. That’s about it.” I smiled at him. He just rolled his eyes and shook his head at me.

“Are you always this optimistic about everything?”