Chapter Seventeen

When I arrived home there were no lights on and the gates were locked tight.

“Really?” I groaned to myself parking my bike and stepping off. I grabbed my gun and kept it in my hand the whole time I walked to the panel on the side of the tall stone wall. It had started to rain a couple minutes ago so I was shivering; causing myself to mistype some of the code.

“Access denied.” Said this chirpy little voice. It was my voice from when I first moved here. I wouldn’t leave Richard or Bruce alone about the too robot sounding voice on the box so they had me record it instead. Hey, I was six.

“Damn it.” I muttered. My voice was definitely raspier now and sounded deeper. I had grown up spoiled yet it was harder for me here. I could always have what I wanted; save for a family. I knew that there were limits and I wasn’t always, ‘gimme gimme.” In fact, I was hardly ever like that. Bruce never knew what to do with me and Ricky could read my mind perfectly. I’m actually really glad that they live together. Apparently Ricky was in the same boat with me; he lost his family to some nut job and that’s all I know. Bruce took him in but didn’t really know him at the time. Ricky just wanted to leave but Alfred used that charm of his to make him stay. I tried to type in the code again.

“Access denied!” I laughed hysterically through the speaker. Wow, I did sound like the Joker… sweet.

“Come on, come on.” I whispered aloud trying to type in the password, and failing again.

“Access denied! The police will be here momentarily! Enjoy your day!” I laughed as the keypad shut down and locked its self.

“Great.” I groaned and finally decided to just fall asleep against the wall. I woke to someone shaking my shoulders and a bright light in my eye.

“Can’t you go two hours without calling us?” Gordon smiled at me.

“Bright.” I groaned shielding my eyes. “What time is it?”

“About three in the morning.” He sighed. It was still raining and my clothes were completely soaked. I looked over and sighed. It’s a good thing I covered my bike with the spare tarp before knocking out.

“And I take it you had to call the house?” I asked cautiously.

“Yes,” Gordon nodded. “Alfred answered it and said he’d be down here shortly.” Gordon shrugged off his jacket and started to wrap it around me when I shook my head.

“You keep it. I’m already soaked and it won’t do me much good. We don’t need Gotham’s finest sick now do we?” I smirked and coughed.

“We also don’t need the guest of honor to be sick for her party tonight.” Gordon frowned at me. “Katrina how long have you been out here?”

“Um, since I rode off and the keypad locked me out?” I shrugged.

“We got the call two hours ago, you rode off three hours ago.”

“Great, three hours in the cold and rain.” I coughed a little more violently. “Looks like I’m not going to school tomorrow.”