Chapter eight

“Rinna! Where the hell were you?! I called your phone like… eighty billion times!” Crystal yelled as she ran down the steps of Wayne manor. Her short body coming at me like a bullet.

“Crystal, chill.” I said as she tried to tackle me. “I’m fine.” I laughed.

“That’s not what the new says stupid.” She rolled her eyes.

“YOU WENT TO F ING ARKHAM?! WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING?” I heard Austin yell at me as he and the rest of the crew came to the front door as Shorty and I got to the top of the everlasting stairs.

“Job shadowing duh.” I said trying to play it off. He stepped forward and wrapped me in one of the biggest hugs he could muster. “Can’t breath.” I choked. He put me down and was glaring at me.

“The fuck Katrina.” He asked again.

“Look, I didn’t know they were going to break out.” I said defensively.

“It doesn’t matter! You were in ARKHAM!” he yelled once more. I looked behind him at Jake and Chris to see them smiling.

“Hello boys.” I smiled and walked around my seething boyfriend. They both gave me hugs and then I saw a very mad Bruce Wayne.

“Hi Bruce…” I trailed.

“Katrina. I was going to lecture you, but it seems your boyfriend just did for me.” He said tersely.

“You’re not really that mad are you? I mean, it’s not like I planned this or anything.” I said in exasperation. Why was I getting blamed for all of this? “How do you people even know this?” I questioned.

“Look.” Crystal pointed to the big TV in the corner. There was a video clip of Edward and Joker hijacking police vehicles and driving off.

“At least they grabbed a good camouflage.” I said.

“Katrina!” Crystal yelled looking at Bruce pointedly.

“Sorry, force of habit.” I muttered. “Look, I’m going to go to my room and sleep okay? I’m gonna have to deal with the whole school tomorrow.” I said climbing the stairs.

“Night Rinna.” Everyone said.

When I got to my room I went on Google and typed in the riddle. I never was, am always to be. No one ever saw me, nor ever will. And yet I am the confidence of all, to live and breath on this terrestrial ball. What am I? I open the first one I see and can’t believe what it says; the future or Tomorrow. My eyes grow wide and I suddenly got way colder.

Tomorrow.

What the hell does that mean?! I ran over to the box I had brought with me and dump it on my floor. There lay my knife, my pens and pencils, my phone, and two cards. My hands shake as I confirm what I saw earlier. A joker and a tree of clubs lay in my trembling hands. One of the cards falls to my carpet and I see the decorative back was purple with a green question mark on it.

“How?” I whisper, “How do they know?” How could anyone know other than my father and me? I’ve never told a soul, not even Austin would know what they meant to me. I gather them and lay them out on my desk and leave up the Google screen. I’ve had one eventful day and I think I deserve some sleep.

I got up the next morning and changed into some cargo shorts, converse, and a black Jack Skellington shirt. I threw on a black jacket and some fingerless gloves. I had straightened my hair after I got out my shower and put on some black eyeliner and copper eye shadow.

“Where are you going looking like that?” I heard a familiar deep voice call out. I whirled around to see my ‘big brother’ Richard coming out of the living room. I dropped my stuff and ran to jump and give him a hug.

“Oh my gosh you’re back!” I yelled as he laughed and spun me around.

“What’s all the ruckus for?” Bruce grumbled as he walked out of his room in nothing but shorts. He was trying to get the sleep out of his eyes and fix his bed head when he finally saw us. “Welcome home.” He smiled as he walked down the stairs.

“Bruce, go put on a shirt.” I teased. He just shook his head and smiled a bit. When Richard was home everyone smiled and joked with each other.

“Go put on a straight jacket.” He said back.

“They don’t have them in my size.” I stuck out my tongue.

“Be careful, you might give someone the wrong idea.” He shot back. When he got close enough I slapped his shoulder and he flinched.

“I didn’t mean to hit you that hard.” I apologized.

“Don’t worry bout it Kat, he’s put up with worse in his time.” Richard teased.

“Stop being mean Ricky.” I teased him with his pet name. I never remembered his real name when I was little so I gave him a nickname. He just smiled as Bruce rolled his eyes.

“How’s my favorite girl?” Richard asked spinning me around again causing me to laugh hysterically.

“More like favorite juvenile delinquent.” Bruce muttered.

“What are you talking about?” Richard asked seriously.

“It wasn’t my damn fault!” I exclaimed once more.

“Katrina! Language!” Richard said a little surprised. That’s right, he left a couple weeks back when I really started to cuss out loud.

“Sorry, but it wasn’t my fault!” I crossed my arms and glaring at the two of them.

“What happened?” he asked concerned.

“Just turn on the news and you’re bound to hear about her.” Bruce chuckled. Ricky put me on the ground and turned on the TV.

“Ya, maybe you’ll hear about Bruce Wayne’s insane party.” I rolled my eyes.

“In other news, yesterday one of Arkham’s biggest break outs occurred. Police failed to capture the previous detainees or those who broke them out. Countless lives were taken yesterday and many more were injured during this massive attack. The odd part about this particular event is that, as most of you know the Gotham High students were job shadowing, and one of their very own happened to witness the whole thing.” Richard turned to look at me with wide eyes as the lady continued. “Katrina Wayne, the adoptive child of her godfather Bruce Wayne, was shadowing head guard Dean Walters when notorious masterminds Two Face, Killer Croc, Bane, and the Mad Hatter broke the Joker, Riddler, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Penguin, Mr. Freeze, and countless other dangerous villains out onto the streets. All the police department had to say was that they’re doing their best to catch each and every one and that Batman will surely help. That is all for this morning’s news. Tune in at noon for your update. This is Lucy Boyden, thank you for following Gotham News.”

The TV was turned off and we all looked at the second story landing to see Alfred looking down at us.

“Good morning masters Bruce, Richard, and Katrina. Lovely day isn’t it?” he said cheerfully.

“Thanks Alf, but they’d rather blame this all on me.” I sighed as I grabbed my school stuff and headed towards the front doors.

“Be careful today young miss, those reporters can be more deadly than any criminal.” Alf teased as I grabbed a biscuit and ran out the door.