Chapter XXIX

Cenerea, 3rd planet from the star Letria, Regalius,

The Homeland, Central Region, The Capitol City,

114 Darvon Street, Current Day

"Geneticus, you need to understand something. The Homeland wants me. When this semester at University is over, I will have to start work with the Military's R&D Corps, basically in the same role as Wendy."

"I am aware and that is the perfect place to be if you want to take them down. You need to be on the inside."

Jay had never really thought of it that way. "Yeah, makes sense."

"Nevertheless, it is also a very dangerous place to be. You will have no friends there and I am very limited in what I could do for you."

"I get that. Hey, before I forget to ask again G, give me a complete rundown on that world you send me to in Wendy's partition? I want to be able to tell her. She's been asking."

"Ah yes. Let me try to explain it in a way you will comprehend. The sim Wendy exists in, it is more than just a singular world...it is a universe; a very large simulated, but fully functional universe. Regardless of its size, there is only one small tiny planet with anything worth protecting to me. The center of this universe is that exact spot where you touch down each time you enter. The place you call the 'Spawn Point'. That is where Wendy is and she is all I care about. When I issued a highest priority command to protect her data, the independent Sub-System containing the stripped down subset of instructions based off my operating system instantly began trying to make sense of Wendy's downloaded information. From what I have determined, the Sub-System took that one high-level instruction. 'Protect Wendy' as in Wendy's archive and could not make sense of it as an understandable, coherent piece of information. It had no basis in which to recognize what it was 'protecting'. In other words, how could it protect something it could not define? If the data became corrupt, how would it know?

"So, the next logical step it took was to begin analyzing the file structure to try to understand how it could be decompressed and placed back into its original form if circumstances were favorable. Again, there was no way for that to happen. It had no idea how to decompress an item in which there was no platform to decompress it into or any basis in which to comprehend its compression scheme. The Sub-System finally determined that to be able to fulfill its obligation to 'Protect Wendy' and provide any successful chance at processing her information properly, the data would have to be re-assembled in its proper context and then examined for errors."

"I think I follow you. Go on," Jay said. He sat forward in his chair and placed his chin on a fist, listening intently.

"The Sub-System pulled up all of the information it had regarding the origin of the species of humanity on Cenerea. It determined that it was not able to create a functioning planet on its own in which to place Wendy's information. There were too many variables needed for life to succeed. It found that there was no short cut. It had to start from the beginning...the very beginning, providing only the basic rules and materials needed at the initialization of this universe. Calculations were made, that for the experiment to succeed, internal time would have to be exponentially higher than normal and adjusted down as factors for viability increased."

"Viability...meaning?"

"If a viable simulated planet was formed, one meeting the same or nearly the same life giving criteria as Cenerea, a rare candidate out of the endless amount of combinations generating from data point zero. This precious rarity would be protected and analyzed until it was determined to be either habitable or not. If determined to be non-life sustaining, the protective status would be removed and another candidate would be selected. This procedure went on and on for several Cenerean years."