Chapter IV

Cenerea, 3rd planet from the star Letria, Regalius,The Homeland,

Central Region, The Capitol City, Homeland University,

Eighteen Cenerean Months Ago

 "Oh no!" Jay stared frightfully at his wrist as he scanned in at the University's security checkpoint. "Damn it, I didn't realize what time it was, Elle! I need to hurry up and get my ass over to Building C. I have to log into Instructor Bouri's A.I. class on time this morning...can't screw up this year or I'm toast." Jay peered into Elle's lovely green eyes, quickly kissed her on the lips, and made a mad dash for Building C. "I'll see you at mid-day, okay?" he yelled over his shoulder.

"I love you!" Elle shouted as Jay disappeared into the throngs of first year students meandering their way to class. She thought she heard him reply, but she wasn't sure. "Whatever..."

...

Attempting to control his over-exerted breathing and pounding heart, Jay took a deep slow breath and slid through the open door into the auditorium. 08:00:00. Good. He silently traversed the stairs to the rows of classroom seating attempting to stay invisible.

"Well, well... This is new. It seems you are right on time for once, Mr. Levant...great way to start the new school year." 

The room briefly came alive with the low rumble of nervous laughter.

Jay's ears warmed. "What a dick..."

"Okay, okay...eyes on me, everyone!" The stately old man stood in the center of the large classroom and paused. He looked about the auditorium and raised an arm, gesturing for the lights to dim over the students. A spotlight activated and focused its beam on the lanky form that was Harold Bouri, Homeland University Instructor of Artificial Intelligence Studies. Dressed in his white Instructor's uniform, the beam illuminated Harold like some sort of holy man about to impart his wisdom. His rows of Homeland Military badges and medals on his chest sparkled under the narrow white beam.

"This is a new year and this is a new class for many of you. For some, it's not so new..."

Jay imagined he felt Mr. Bouri's gaze focusing on him as he positioned himself in a seat, although he was sure he probably couldn't see him. "Yep, no doubt, Bouri's out to get me."

"...at the start of each new class year, I like to set a few ground rules to kick things off on the right foot."

The auditorium groaned.

"I don't really care if you want to hear it again or not you second year failures. Go ahead mess with me, I can bury you in lab work and quantum equations for the whole damn year." Harold grinned at the silence he had just created. "That's what I thought. Now where was I? Ah yes...number one: Let me assure all of you, I do not care for mindless sports of any kind. No one gets preferential treatment in this class so you can go to the finals or the-whatever-it-is. All I care about is A.I. in here. Number two: Although my dear wife is no longer with us, I have no interest in you young people. You can't entice me into passing you, don't even try."

Harold gave his speech a moment of rest until the roaring laughter calmed to a controllable level. "...And number three: I really do not give a flying fuck about how smart you think you are, or what your grades were when you left your last hall of education. Understand me, I have one very important task here and that is to make sure the lot of you leave my class with at least a basic understanding of the processes and functions you need to perform your assigned duties in the extremely difficult field of Artificial Intelligence."