Chapter 11-5

"Where are you taking me?" Charlie asked as Rib pulled her around the back of the academy. "This better not be for another ghost hun-" she began, but her words were lost as she spotted their destination.

In the quad behind the school, Apollo, Demeter and Max were waiting under a giant canopy of flowers and twinkling lights- and each of them was wearing a smooth, black suit.

"What is this?" Charlie gasped at the beautiful sight.

"Welcome, Charlie, to your dance," grinned Apollo, giving her a bow.

"My dance?" Charlie was shocked.

"Of course!" Demeter led her into the canopy with a gloved hand.

"We know you were disappointed that you could not attend a formal dance at your old school," said Max.

"So we decided to throw you one!" grinned Rib. "Be right back! Gotta change!" he added, zipping away.

"This is so nice!" Charlie looked around in awe. "But... I'm not dressed up enough for this," she frowned. "I don't even have a dress. The only thing I have is my Halloween costume. And it's at the cleaners."

"No worries!" winked Demeter.

"We've got you covered," smiled Apollo, pulling out none other than the sparkling gown Charlie had gotten from Sugar and Star.

~~~

When Charlie had changed and Rib finally returned, now looking as handsome as the others in a suit (complete with a Frankenstein tie), Demeter snapped his fingers and soft music began to flow.

"No way," Charlie beamed as she noticed a group of school band members elegantly playing nearby.

"May I have this dance?" asked Max.

"And we're next," grinned the twins.

~~~

Charlie could hardly believe what was happening as she blissfully waltzed around with her friends. However, the surprises were not over, for as she finished her (thoughtful, though a little too hyper) dance with Rib, she heard Demeter shout.

"You're late," he crossed his arms and Charlie turned to see Pace stepping towards the canopy.

Charlie's eyes widened as he approached. He was wearing a crisp tuxedo and carrying a bouquet of flowers.

"Hey," he said, passing Charlie and setting the flowers down on a table, then taking a seat himself.

"Will you not dance with Charlie?" asked Max. "We have already each had a dance."

"Yeah, but if you want, I'll take your turn," grinned Apollo, stepping towards Charlie for a second dance.

However, before he could grab her waist, Pace rose from his seat and took his place.

"Make it a short song," he said to the band, but despite his words, he gently grabbed Charlie's waist and began to sway.

It was a strange moment for Charlie as the rest of her surroundings seemed to dissolve. All she was aware of was the soft music and Pace's soft hands on her hips.

All too soon, though, the song had ended, and Pace was heading back towards the table. Watching as he picked up the flowers, Charlie's heart boomed, but to her surprise, Pace walked away, towards the trees, bouquet still in hand.

"Where's he going?" Charlie wondered as he disappeared into the darkness, but Max's words distracted her contemplation.

"I hope you enjoyed your dance, Charlie," he smiled sweetly.

"Yeah! I bet it was even better than the one they're having at Juno," put in Rib proudly.

"Juno?" Charlie's eyes widened. "Their dance was tonight too?"

"Yep," nodded Demeter. "Shame we couldn't get in..."

"Yeah, I wonder if Sugar and Star missed us," pouted Apollo.

"Probably not since they don't know you," laughed Rib.

"You just wait!" yelled Apollo.

"Guys. Do not fight now. It is the night of Charlie," said Max, turning to her. "Let us escort you back to the dorm."

"Oh. That's okay. I want to enjoy this pretty place a little bit more. I'll meet you there," said Charlie, taking a seat at the table as the others returned to Athens. "So... Juno's dance was tonight..." she thought, staring at the trees. Then, suddenly remembering the conversation she had overheard between Jessica and the other girls, her eyes widened in realization. "Wait! Now I know where Pace has been going! And who those flowers were for! That girl- Delilah!"

~~~

When Charlie had finally taken in all she could of the beautiful environment her roommates had made for her, she yawningly decided to head back to the dorm.

"What a perfect night," she smiled to herself sleepily as he reached for the Athens door.

However, the door across the hall opened and Printz suddenly joined her in the corridor.

"Wow! You look amazing! Is that what you wore to the dance? I didn't see you in the crowd..." Printz frowned.

"No," said Charlie. "My roommates threw me a little formal dance outside," she explained.

"Well, I wish I had known!" exclaimed Printz. "I would have loved to have the last dance. Is it to late?" he added.

Charlie shook her head, and right there in the hallway, they began to dance.

It was a sweet moment, and although Printz was a very good dancer, Charlie's mind began to drift back to her dance with Pace.

"Huh?" Charlie shooed the thought away and stared up into Printz's handsome face.

"Well, goodnight, Charlie," he said when they had finally finished their dance. Then, leaning down, he gave her a small peck on the cheek. "We'll save the real thing for the play," he winked, before disappearing into the Sparta Dorm.

Heart beating fast, Charlie was certainly no longer thinking about Pace.