Chapter 7-4

"Yep! It's next weekend! On Halloween!" Rib grinned widely.

"They have it every year in the gym," explained Demeter.

"There's costumes," said Apollo.

"And snacks," added Max.

"AND birthday presents," finished Rib excitedly. "What are you guys getting me?" he looked around eagerly.

"I almost forgot," said Demeter. "I still need to get my costume."

"Me too," Apollo realized. "Maybe we can stop at that big party store when we go to the match tomorrow. Let's go see what they have online!"

"Wait for me! I need a costume too!" Charlie followed after the twins.

"And I need to check on my cinnamon rolls," Max headed back for the kitchen, leaving Rib alone.

"Hey! What about my presents???" Rib frowned.

~~~

"Okay, everyone line up by dorm!" an official-looking senior, who Charlie found to be the Olympus Academy class president, corralled the students on the sidewalk the following morning as a row of buses pulled up.

"Where's Rib?" Charlie looked around.

"He will be riding the bus with the soccer team," Max told her.

"Lucky him," Demeter nodded a few buses down, where Rib was standing with the rest of his team, already bickering with Bradford.

"Yeah, I wouldn't want to be on that bus ride," said Apollo, surveying the slew of Spartan soccer players.

"Yeah..." said Charlie, staring at the team herself. However, she was only able to notice one very specific member- someone who was standing at the front of the line... a certain captain...

"Heh, at least he has some company that won't try to beat him up!" Demeter laughed, nodding again towards Calli The Bear mascot. 

"It will be okay," Max told them. "Rib can take care of himself."

They all watched as Rib pulled on his hockey mask, making an inappropriate gesture towards Bradford and Nix.

"Athens! Move it!" the class president called, snapping them back to their own bus and ushering them on board.

~~~

"Hey, there's the party store!" Demeter pointed excitedly out the window as the bus cruised near its rival school.

"Are you going to go with us, Max?" asked Apollo.

"But I already have my costume," said Max.

"You do?" Charlie raised her brows.

"Yes," Max nodded proudly. "I made it myself. My grandmother also taught me how to sew."

"You should still come!" said Demeter. "The party store is HUGE! They have tons of cool stuff."

"Yeah, we can get Rib's birthday gifts there, too!" Apollo suggested and Max smiled innocently.

"You already got his present, too?" Demeter gaped.

"It is okay. I will still join you at the store," chuckled Max.

"Awesome," the twins grinned.

When the Olympus Academy buses pulled into the school parking lot, the students filed out of the vehicles and into the bleachers on the soccer field, while the team, led by Captain Printz, made their way towards the locker rooms. Several large banners hung at the bases of the bleachers, reading messages such as HOME OF THE CATS, THE FELINES ARE FINE, and BEAT THE BEARS.

"This is going to be a good game," Demeter took a seat next to Charlie and gazed over the field.

"Definitely," said Apollo, taking a place on her other side.

"I hope Rib does well," Max watched nervously as the teams crossed the field.

"Yeah," said Charlie. "But wait. I just thought of something. If we're watching the match, when are we going to go to the party store? I don't want to miss anything," she added, eyeing Printz as he and the other captain engaged in the coin toss.

"No worries," Demeter patted her shoulder. "We'll run over during half-time. And since we already picked out our costumes online, it shouldn't take long."

"Okay, good," smiled Charlie, turning back to the field as the match began.

~~~

"Let's go!" Demeter jumped up as soon as the first half ended and both team mascots stepped onto the field to perform a skit. "Come on, Apollo!" he added, kicking his brother's leg.

"But this is funny!" Apollo pouted, still trying to watch as Calli The Bear sent a soccer ball whizzing past the opponent cat mascot, who fell down upon trying to block it from the net.

"Fine, then don't get your costume for the party," said Demeter, walking away with Charlie and Max.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" Apollo whined, hurrying after them.

~~~

"Okay, let's be quick!" said Demeter, when they had left the stands and entered the huge party store across the street.

"Let's just ask an employee for help," Apollo decided, flagging down a twenty-something girl with a ponytail and rainbow-colored polo tee.

"Can I help you?" she asked brightly.

"We wanted to know if you could show us where some costumes are that we saw on your website yesterday," explained Demeter.

"And if you're single," added Apollo.

"Apollo!" Demeter elbowed his twin. "Don't mind him," he told the worker. "We may look alike, but trust me, I got all the manners." He grinned slyly at the girl, but she ignored both of their remarks, remaining completely professional.

"Which costumes were they?" she asked, turning awkwardly from the flirty boys to Charlie.

"Umm, I was looking for the cheerleader costumes," she told her.

"Oh, I'm sorry," the employee frowned. "Those are all sold out."

~~~