Part 48

It's been three days since the boys arrived home. "(Name)!" I hear a shriek in the middle of the night, and I rush to Emil's room. He is kneeling beside the bed, tears streaming down his cheeks. I stare in horror as Ivan claws at his shirt like he was having trouble breathing.

"Ivan!" I rush over, and I look into his eyes. They were rolling into the back of his head. He opened his mouth to say something, but his voice was drowned out by Emil's screams.

"Save him! Do something!" Emil pushes at my leg.

"I-I don't know what's wrong," I panic, pushing the mask back over Ivan's mouth. "Bring me my phone!" Emil nods and runs out of the room. I start to stroke Ivan's hair, and whisper, "It's ok, Ivan. Everything's going to be ok..."

"A-Air....!" He chokes. "P-Plug!" My eyes moved to the machine that helped him breathe, and I realized the mask was slightly unplugged. I reach down and force it back into the socket, and Ivan inhales dramatically. "(N-Name)...!" I wrap my arms around his little shoulders, and he hides his face in mine. "I almost died!"

"Shh," I whisper soothingly, stroking his back as sobs rack his body. "You're ok. You're just fine, I'm here for you."

"Y-Yes, he couldn't breathe," Emil says into the phone as he walks in. "Here."

"Hello?" I say quietly as he hands me the phone.

"Hello, (Name). It's Katrina. I'm the nurse that usually looks after the boys."

"Oh, yes. Hi, Katrina."

"Is Ivan alright?"

I look down at the blonde boy, who's arms are still wrapped around my waist tightly. "Yes, he's ok. His mask came unhooked, and he wasn't getting any air."

"I see," Katrina breathes a loud sigh of relief. "My heart was pounding. I'm glad he's alright."

"I am, too."

"Well, I'll send an ambulance over to your residence, and we'll bring him back." Ivan's eyes shoot up to me, and he shakes his head.

"I don't wanna go back!"

I sigh, and I turn my attention back to the phone call. "Ivan doesn't want to go."

"It's the only way he'll be guaranteed safety from this happening again."

"If he doesn't want to go, you shouldn't force him."

The other end is silent for a few seconds, and I hear Katrina sigh again. "Alright. He has until the end of the week, alright?"

"Yes!" I smile. "Thanks for everything, Katrina. Bye." I hang up the phone, and hug Ivan. "You're gonna be just fine, alright?" He nods in understanding, but he makes no attempt to say anything. I look over at Emil who's still sobbing, sitting there on his knees.

"What happened?" a new voice asks. I move my gaze to the door and Lovino rushes in, taking Emil in his arms.

"Ivan's breathing machine stopped working. It scared Emil."

The Italian smiles gently down at Emil, like he was looking at a newborn baby. "Hey, buddy. You alright?" Emil wraps his arms around Lovino's neck, and cries. "Ivan is just fine. No need to be scared," he kisses my younger brother's head, and I wipe a tear from my eye, the reality of the situation finally hitting me. Lovino sees that, and walks over to the bed where I'm holding Ivan, and sits beside me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I rest my head on his, and he kisses my cheek. "Everything is alright."

"Thank you, Lovino," Ivan whispers, his eyes beginning to close.

"You must be tired," I finally say, and lay Ivan back down under the covers.

"Thanks for helping me, (Name)."

I gently caress his cheek, and stare into his one exposed eye. "Of course. I would do anything for you."

Lovino puts the already-sleeping Emil back in his bed on the opposite side of the room, and we both go to the door after saying goodnight.

"Wait!" We look back, and Ivan reaches his hand out to us. We take quiet steps over to him, and he places his hands on our cheeks. "I-I love you."

I cover my mouth with my hands, and I feel a tear escape my eye. "I love you, too."

Lovino kisses Ivan on the forehead and slowly stands up. "We'll see you in the morning, buddy."

After that, we finally leave the room. Quietly, I walk down the hallway, my hands clutching my beating heart. Lovino wraps his arms around my shoulders, and pulls me to his chest. "Everything's alright, (Name)."

"I know..." I whisper, gripping his shirt tightly.

He chuckles, and kisses my cheek. "You'll feel better in the morning. Let's get to bed." I nod in agreement, and follow him as he leads me along to our room.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I slowly and quietly walk up the aisle of the church, a small bouquet in my hands. My heart pounds, and my lips quiver. Once my feet touch the altar, I stand there in silence before collapsing to my knees. I try my best to hold the sobs back in my chest. I get onto my knees, and place my hands on the side of the box, pulling myself up and peering over the side.

Ivan's skin never healed, but they made him look like nothing ever happened. He lays there with a giant smile on his face. Tears stream down my cheeks as I reach out and brush his bangs away from his eyes. I can practically hear his little laugh in my head, and I imagine him bouncing around and playing with Emil. "Why now...?" I whisper, my voice cracking in sadness. "You didn't deserve to go now..."

I hear footsteps behind me, and feel hands on my shoulders. "Don't move." I obey his command, and I feel his forehead on my back. "You did everything you could." I hide my face in my hands, and I cry. Lovino turns me around, and moves my hands from my face. "Everyone is hurting, alright?" He says. I stare at him, his face is red and stained with tears. "I didn't want to see him go."

I wrap my arms around his torso and cry into his shoulder. "Why didn't He take me instead?"

"Emil needs you," Lovino's shoulders tremble and he hugs me tighter than he ever has before. "I-I need you..."

"Lovino...." I sniffle, and I kiss his cheek. "I just wish he didn't have to die..."