Part 33

The next day, Lovino, Ludwig, Feliciano, and I go out for a day in the wonderful city of Rome. "Wow, look at that!" I gush, pointing at the giant colosseum. "That's where they fought lions, right?"

"Yea," Lovino smiles. "Our grandfather used to fight in there." Surprised by how recent to lion fights had been, I raise my eyebrow. "He was inspired by the ancient Romans, and being of a rather high social class, he created an alternative."

"And, what's that?"

"The fights he participated in were more like wrestling matches. He never killed a lion, but he always won while fighting against them."

"I see!" I smile as I latch on to Lovino's arm. I look over and see Feliciano doing the same exact thing as Ludwig, but the small Italian was dragging him everywhere.

"Let's go see the Trevi Fountain!" Feliciano squeals in excitement, jumping up and down. Ludwig, with a small blush, agrees, and begins to walk in the same direction as Feliciano was pulling.

"Can we go with them?" I ask.

Lovino stares at me in disgust. "Why?"

"I want to see the Trevi Fountain!"

"There's nothing special about it. It's a normal fountain."

"Maybe to someone who was born and raised here in Rome," I cross my arms. "I want to throw three coins into the fountain!"

"W-What? But why?" Lovino stutters with a tomato red face.

"I'm sure you know the legend," I smirk. "The first coin promises another trip to Rome; the second, to ensure a new romance; the third, guaranteed marriage!"

"I-I know what the legend is!" He yells in embarrassment. "I just don't know why you want a new romance..."

"Huh?"

"Are you already able to cast me aside with no feeling whatsoever...?" Tears form in the corners of his eyes, and his lips quiver.

"No, no! Lovino, I will never cast you aside!" I wrap my arms around his torso and squeeze tightly. "I want to be with you forever!"

"I won't forgive you if you leave me," he turns away with a blushing pout.

"It'll never happen," I guarantee.

"Alright," he sniffles. "Let's go."

We make our way to the wonderfully beautiful Trevi Fountain, and I gaze at it's magnificent architectural detail. "It's amazing!"

"Yea, it's pretty," Lovino nods in disinterest.

I gulp, and look at Lovino out of the corner of my eye. His eyes stay glued to the fountain, his hands stuffed into his pockets without a care. I reach into my small bag and take out the small promise ring I had been wanting to give him. "Hey, Lovino?"

"Hm?" He asks, eyes unmoving.

"I've been meaning to give this to you for a long, long time."

His gaze turns to me, and I hold out the little ring box. His eyes open wide with surprise and he backs away a little. "What's that?"

"I-It's a promise ring," I avert my gaze, the little box still in my palm. "I thought it might help you to have something tangible to prove I'll never leave you."

He hesitantly takes the box from my hand, and glares at me. "If this is a prank-"

"It's not!"

He curtly nods his head with a frown, and closes an eye as he slowly opens the small case. Inside, were two golden rings. The larger one said I'll stay with you, and the smaller one stated until the end of time. He takes out the larger one, and I snatch it from his grasp. He looks at me, confused, and I press the ring to my lips. "A promise kiss."

He blushes, and I grasp his hand, gently sliding the ring on to his ring finger. He takes the smaller ring, and holds it up to his lips, and quickly kisses it as his face turns a thousand shades of red. "H-Here." He takes my hand and places the ring onto my finger.

"See? That's a promise. A tangible promise."

"Yea," he smiles sweetly down at the ring. "A promise."