“Ya, don’t hurt her, that’s my job.” Harvey said. “I found her first.”

“Technically,” Joker said walking forward. “WE found her first.”

“Anyway… that riddle.” Edward smiled. I put all my weight on my right foot and braced myself. I was usually the one that was okay with riddles; not the worst but not the best.

“I am the beginning of the end, and the end of time and space. I am essential to creation, and I surround every place. What am I?” he pranced from foot to foot.

What?! Beginning of the end. The end of time and space. I am essential to creation and I surround every place? The frick?! Oh wait, Crystal asked this to me in English class… I got it wrong and her team got the point.

“It’s E.” I smiled. I kinda forgot whom I was talking to and soon regretted it.

“Okay… A harder one then.” Riddler said as he thought. “Ah. At night they come without being fetched. By day they are lost without being stolen. What are they?”

“Stars.” I said a little too quickly. Again, we did an entire semester on riddles and things that make you think at surface level and deeper. It was one of the more interesting topics we did at school. I actually got this one right and my team won.

“Hmmmmm.” Riddler said getting a little annoyed.

“Look, let’s go before Battsy gets here.” Joker said with the agreed mummers of everyone else.

“Fine one last one.” Edward smiled taking a step towards me and whispered in my ear causing my breath to catch and my heart beat wildly. He was so close that the insanity that surrounded him was palpable.

“I never was, am always to be. No one ever saw me, nor ever will. And yet I am the confidence of all, to live and breath on this terrestrial ball. What am I?”

He backed up smiling and I sat there with a shocked expression on my face. What? I didn’t know this one.

“Don’t worry love, I can wait for your answer.” He said as he and the rest of Gotham’s most wanted walked into a cloud of dust and disappeared.

I looked down at my feet and saw my clear box, but there was something different. There was a card with the three of clovers on top with a joker. I took a step forward and I felt my foot hit something that made a metallic sound. Looking I saw that there was a gas grenade that I had just activated. Green gas poured out and I sighed. Figures, I end my day being gassed by the Joker. I was coughing when I fell to the floor and heard the glass windows above me shatter as two caped figures appeared.

“Grab her quickly. Leave the box.” An extremely deep voice said.

“No.” I coughed as the shorter of the two approached. With all the strength I had left I threw my left arm around the box and then fell asleep.

--- Two hours later ---

“Katrina, I know you’re tired but we need you to talk to someone.” The police commissioner Gordon said as he came into my hospital room.

“Where is my box?” I asked for the hundredth time that day. It was my parent’s death all over again; box in the middle of a room, knocked unconscious because of smoke, and ending up in a hospital with cops who won’t give me answers.

“It’s being held as evidence.” He said simply. I sat up quickly causing some of the machines to freak out.

“What?!” I yelled. He looked taken back. “Why?!” I said again.

“It survived the crime scene and we want to know if any of it was used to help with the escape.”

“The fuck? How would it have been?” I yelled. “I didn’t break them out! Why would MY box have anything to do with it!” I was on the edge of my bed trying to stand. Commissioner Gordon looked very nervous but sure about what he said next.