12 | Into the Inferno

Sozin's Comet flys across the sky, painting it a deep shade of red. Zuko, Arlington, and Peanut sit on Appa as he travels towards the Fire Nation.

Tension forms between Zuko and Arlington, for they are about to fight a very important battle. Arlington can't help but feel like she's going into the Hunger Games.

"I'm worried about Aang. What if he doesn't have the guts to take out my Father? What if he loses?" Zuko starts a conversation.
"If he loses, then it's up to the rest of us to take out your dad." Arlington says.
"What if we lose?"
"We won't. We can take Azula." Arlington assures.

Zuko sighs and slips his hand into Arlington's to hold.
"Promise me you'll be careful. I don't want to lose you." The Prince says.
"Only if you promise to do the same." Arlington squeezes his hand.

"Whatever happens today, I want you to know how much I love you." Zuko says.
"I love you too and I'm really happy that you ended up in my life." Arlington kisses the Prince's cheek.

Zuko closes his eyes and leans in to kiss Arlington on the lips. His lips touch hers with a soft, yet fiery passion. It's a slow, loving kiss. He secures both his arms around Arlington's waist.

'Out of all the things I've done wrong, this is one of the things I've done right.' Zuko thinks.

↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠

Appa lands near the ceremonial plaza at the palace where the Fire Lord is coroneted. Azula is kneeling at the top of the plaza steps, wearing traditional Fire Lord robes with her armor underneath. Several Fire Sages stand behind her. The leader of the Sages hold the Fire Lord headpiece above Azula's head.

"By decree of Phoenix King Ozai, I now crown you Fire Lord..." The Fire Sage stops mid-sentence.
Azula turns her head up to him. "What are you waiting for? Do it!" She commands.

"Sorry, but you're not going to become Fire Lord today. I am." Zuko jumps from Appa.
"You're hilarious." Azula laughs.
"And you're pretty crazy." Arlington shrugs her shoulders.

The head Fire Sage continues to crown Azula, but she raises her hand, signaling for him to stop.

"Wait. You want to be Fire Lord? Fine. Let's settle this. Just you and me, brother. The showdown that was always meant to be. Agni Kai!" A crazy smile has formed on Azula's face.
"You're on." Zuko agrees.

Arlington snaps her head in Zuko's direction, her eyes wide with shock.
"What are you doing? She's playing you. She knows she can't take us both so she is trying to separate us." Arlington explains.
"I know, but I can take her this time." Zuko assures.

"Zuko, you've said that multiple times in the past and failed. Are you sure this is the best way?" Arlington asks.
"There's something off about her, I can't explain it but she's slipping. And this way, no one else has to get hurt." Zuko takes his eyes off of his sister to give Arlington a small smile.

↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠

Arlington, Peanut, Zuko, and Azula have entered a large courtyard for the Agni Kai. Zuko kneels on the right end with Azula kneels on the left. The siblings rise and face each other.

Arlington is on edge. She knows Azula will have a dirty trick up her sleeve. Her heart continues to pound. Peanut, nudges Arlington's legs. "It's okay buddy." She pets him.

"I'm sorry it has to end this way, brother." Azula sarcastically says while removing the Fire Lord robes.
"No, you're not." Zuko flatly says.

Azula smiles and thrusts her palm out, shooting a blast of blue flame at Zuko. The Prince brings his hands up, jumps forward, and bends two waves of flame in each hand and shoots them at his sister.