04 | Bitter Work

"Zuko, it has been four days and you've only sat in the dark. You need to get some fresh air." Iroh sighs at his nephew. Zuko hasn't left Arlington's side. He sits next to her and constantly holds her soft hand.

"What if she wakes up and needs something? I need to be there for her.. like she was for me." Zuko looks down at Arlington's pale face. Her dark hair is sprawled across the pillow and her eyebrows are tensed.
Iroh sighs again. "I'll watch her. You go get some fresh air." Uncle Iroh takes Zuko's spot next to Arlington.

↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠

Zuko exits the deserted, broken-down shack. He walks over to the cliff and his golden eyes scan the desert. Zuko takes a seat near the edge. 'Please wake up. I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you.' Zuko places his head in his hands. After three long years, someone, other than his uncle, has showed him compassion and was kind to him. Now that person could be gone. Zuko tugs at has his newly grown hair.

Soft, heavy footsteps are heard walking towards Zuko.
"Arlington's awake." Iroh's words cause Zuko to quickly stand and run back into the shack. 

Inside, Arlington lays on the floor with Peanut curled into her side. Zuko lets out a sigh of relief. Iroh enters behind Zuko. The Banished Prince takes a seat next to her.
"Do you remember anything?" Iroh asks while pouring tea for everyone.

Arlington's forehead creases as she thinks about past events.
"A-Azula. She shot fire at Uncle." Arlington massages the sides of her head.
"I stopped the fire by.. by a-airbending?" She looks up at Zuko and Iroh and gives them a questioning look. Uncle Iroh sets down a cup of tea for Arlington.
"Yes, you are an airbender. What are your thoughts?"

"I wanted to be a firebender." Arlington pouts like a child. Iroh and Zuko laugh.
"You gave us quite a scare. Zuko here wouldn't leave your side." Iroh chuckles some more while Zuko angrily blushes.
Arlington smiles at Zuko.

"So Uncle, I've been thinking. It's only a matter of time before I run into Azula again. I'm going to need to know more advanced firebending if I want to stand a chance against her. I know what you're going to say: she's my sister and I should be trying to get along with her." Zuko desperately wants to be able to protect the ones he cares about in future encounters with Azula.
"No, she's crazy and she needs to go down. It's time to resume your training." With a grunt, Iroh gets up. Arlington follows.

"What are you doing?" Zuko gently pushes Arlington back down on the thin mat.
"I want to watch you guys train."
"But you need to rest." Zuko resorts.
"Uncle, tell Zuko to let me watch you guys train. It's boring in here."
"Arlington should watch. It might help her with her airbending." Iroh nods. Zuko rolls his eyes and helps Arlington to her feet.

↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠

Arlington and Peanut sit under a dead tree that provides little shade. Iroh sets up his tea pot and begins brewing more tea. He and Zuko begin the lesson. Arlington listens intently.

"Lightning is a pure expression of firebending, without aggression. It is not fueled by rage or emotion the way other firebending is. Some call lightning the cold-blooded fire. It is precise and deadly, like Azula. To perform the technique requires peace of mind." Iroh hands a cup of tea to Zuko.
"I see. That's why we're drinking tea: To calm the mind." Zuko takes a sip.
"Oh yeah, good point! I mean, yes."

Arlington laughs quietly. 'Oh Iroh. You would use anything as an excuse to drink tea.'

"There is energy all around us. The energy is both yin and yang; positive energy and negative energy. Only a select few firebenders can separate these energies. This creates an imbalance. The energy wants to restore balance and in a moment the positive and negative energy come crashing back together. You provide release and guidance, creating lightning." Iroh holds out a hand, signaling for Zuko to step back. He holds his right hand to his side and with two fingers extended begins to create lightning by rotating his arm in a circular motion around his body. He mimics the motion with his left arm. Iroh brings his two hands together and then lunges forward with his right hand extended and shoots lightning into the distance.