05 | The Winter Solstice

It has been a few days since Arlington has trained with Prince Zuko. Yesterday, the ship stopped at an Earth Kingdom prison. Zuko and Arlington searched the floating prison. The Prince found the Water Tribe girl's, Katara's, necklace. Arlington didn't find her mother.

The damage done by Zuko on Arlington's face is getting somewhat better. Her nose has stopped bleeding, the cut on her lip has healed, but her jaw is swollen with a bruise, and she still has a dark, black eye.

The Prince, Arlington and Peanut walk into an Earth Kingdom village. Many people stare at Peanut as he walks by. Despite her beaten face, Arlington wears a smile. 'It's nice to finally be on land again.''

The street is bustling with venders trying to sell their goods, people barging, and children playing. "Look Prince Zuko!" Arlington points at a stall with bite sized cakes.
"Aren't we supposed to be looking for your mom?" He asks.
"My mom loved desserts. If anything, she'll be near a bakery." Arlington grabs the Prince's arm and drags him to the cakes.

Arlington's golden green eyes widen in delight at the smell of the sweets. She picks out a yellow colored pastry with red berries on top. "Do you want one Prince Zuko?" He picks up a chocolate cake and pays the vender for them. Arlington thanks Zuko and they continue walking down the street. They eat their cakes in silence.

"You want some Peanut?" Peanut wags his tail. Arlington breaks a piece off and feeds it to her best friend. Zuko gives Arlington a questioning look.

"Are dogs allowed to eat human food?" He asks.
Arlington and Zuko walk side by side with Peanut between them.
"Yes. Dogs can almost eat anything we eat. I named him Peanut because when I got him, all he would eat was peanut butter." Arlington explains.
'Should I tell him that dogs can't eat chocolate without dying? Probably not. He might try to kill Peanut.' Arlington keeps the thought to herself.

"I'm gonna go ask around about the Avatar." Zuko walks away, shoving people out of his way.
"I guess we'll look too." Arlington motions for Peanut to follow.

↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠ ↠

As Arlington walks through the streets, people stare. She hears someone mutter Fire Nation and evil. Arlington keeps her head held high and the continues walking.

She stops at a home and knocks. A woman opens the door. When she sees Arlington, her eyes fill with fear and she shoos her kids back. Arlington puts on a gentle smile and shows the woman the picture.

"Have you seen anyone who looks like this?" The woman doesn't even reply before slamming the door in her face. Arlington sighs. 'I'm so done with people discriminating against me because I wear red.'

Further down the street she sees some kids playing kickball in an alleyway. "Can I play?" Arlington runs to the group of kids. One of the older kids, probably Arlington's age, walks to her.
"We don't let the Fire Nation play with us." He plainly states.
"But I'm not from the Fire Nation." Arlington smiles.
The teen boy scoffs, "Your outfit says differently." The younger kids huddle behind the boy.

A little girl, about ten, stands next to the teenage boy.
"What happened to your face?" She points at Arlington's injured face. The older boy raises an eyebrow.
"I got in a fight with someone from Fire Nation. I'm basically an outcast now." Arlington explains.