7: Big Brother

After Dez left the apartment abruptly, Aaliyah took the opportunity to look up her file for the background on her character. Liyah had a feeling if she trusted Dez just a bit, then he would lead her right to Adonis, and the police could finally have the upper hand in the situation. And for Aaliyah to go in the books as the officer, who took down the greatest Gangbanger in L.A. would mean everything to her.

With a sigh, Aaliyah swiftly closed the laptop and placed it delicately behind the folds of the couch cushions when she heard a sudden knock at the front door. "Coming!" she called out, rubbing wrinkles from her white T-shirt and pink shorts. Navigating her way through the trash on the floor, Aaliyah silently cursed under her breath with each step. Terrence had been trying all day to get in contact with her to apologize for what happened earlier that day. But of course, Aaliyah paid his butt no mind because, he crossed a line she never wanted to ever cross again. Opening the front door with a strong pull, Aaliyah gawked at Dez as he met her with a smile.

'What the hell?'

"I'm sorry to bother you again, Sha'Mear, but my brother and I were heading out to dinner...and I know that you're new to this part of town and all..." Aaliyah narrowed her eyes a bit as she calculated the man. Desmond wasn't annoying in no way but something about him just made Aaliyah want to trust him. And she knew that was crazy talk! An officer is taught to never trust anyone because you never know what their true intentions are. Especially after the incident involving the little girl at the store last week. The memory was still fresh in her mind, but Aaliyah knew that the man for that little girl's murder was going to pay for what he did to her.

"Um, Sha'Mear..." Liyah jumped from her daze and smiled innocently at Dez as he arched an eyebrow suspiciously. "...so, you wanna go out to eat tonight?"

"Who did you say was goin' again?" She coaxed. Dez smiled at the question and licked his lips to moisten his slightly chapped lips. "You need some Carmax, big guy?" Aaliayah teased, making Dez purse his lips then frown.

"Oh, you tryin' to play me now, Sha'Mear." Desmond folded his arms tightly against his chest, and grunted. "I got Carmax in the car, I just didn't think this little bit of wind would mess ya boy up." The duo shared a laugh at that, before Dez added "Just my brother and I are going out to eat, and I thought it would be cool if you came along. I promise..." Aaliyah watched as the seriousness in his eyes darkened. "...I wont let anything happen to you."

Aaliyah's heart fluttered a bit at that, and honestly she didn't know why. The way Dez looked at her right now, had been the same way he did that day he killed her attacker in the alleyway. Liyah opened her mouth to speak but stopped when another male's voice behind Desmond called out saying,

"Did we come over here just for you to cake-bake, or are we goin' out to fúckin' eat?! A nigga hungry!" Aaliyah moved pass Desmond to come face to face with another man at the base of the stairs. He had a nice beard, with tattoos decorating each visible part of his body, except his face. The man's stern gaze met hers and it did not relent. He stood at about six foot, wearing a black skin-tight hoodie, which showed off his muscles and nice physique. The man sported baggy jeans and a fresh pair of black Timberlands, and his outfit matched his demeanor.

Dark.

"Who is that?" Aaliyah inquired idly, to no one in particular. Desmond must have heard her, because she heard him bite back a laugh at her question. Dez shook his head as he sighed in exasperation.

"Sha'Mear, this is my brother, Damien. Damien, this Sha'Mear, the girl I told you about." Aaliyah inwardly smiled at the idea of Desmond actually mentioning her to someone in his family, but the feeling quickly vanished when Damien scoffed.