6.5: Adonis

Thursday, October Third

"Adonis." His eyes snapped up at the call of his name, where he was greeted by his little brother, Desmond. The younger man, stood over the threshold of his brother's secret location, in the outskirts of California's Red District. Adonis watched over his five foot 10 inch brother's stature, and examined the way Dez pursed his lips with a sense of disapproval.

The older brother, lolled back in his recliner and nonchalantly placed his feet on the surface of the Maplewood tabletop, "What?" Adonis scoffed at his brother.

"Its' done. Michael was taken care of." Desmond stated, with the same amount of sarcasm that his brother was dishing out to him." Dez now wore a black T-shirt, Denim jeans, and brown steel-toed boots, which only elicited a smile to cross Adonis' face.

"I see shít gotta lil outta hand. You changed clothes." Adonis laughed, but Desmond wasn't having it.

"Yeah, he put up a fight but like I said, I handled it." Desmond folded his arms across his chest, "...besides, I had his blood all over me."

The laughter stopped instantly. "Did you at least, burn da shít?"

"Duh, nigga! I ain't a dumbass!"

Adonis opened his mouth to say something else, but instead, closed his mouth and said nothing. Word got out that Michael went to the police station to snitch, just like Amber did, but Adonis wasn't up for the games. His moves were clean and precise, so he would be damned if he allowed some rookie gangbangers to destroy his empire. Adonis wasn't always some black guy working the low life. When in reality the man graduated high school at the top of his class, went to college on a full ride scholarship, where he majored in business and management.

He always had a dream to one day make enough money to get his mother and brother out of Red district, and move them to some place safe, like Purple district. Or better yet, outta California period. But around the time Adonis graduated college, he met a man named Rales. Rales was the former chief in command for the Reds, until he unfortunately passed away from colon cancer a few years back. Rales took Adonis under his wing, and used to man's degree skills to help expand territory in Cali. However, Rales was at major odds with Legend, who was the head of the Blues on the opposite side of town.

When Legend came around, there was always bodies left behind to decorate the streets of California. Adonis had seen it all earlier in life; being fresh outta college and had no clue how to sale drugs at the time. Over the years, while under Rales teaching, Adonis seen old neighbors, friends, old people, young people, and even a few family members murdered in the streets.

All because they didn't think like he did.

Rales told him he had a gift that would allow him to out-live any of these wannabe hoodrats in California. Which is why, on his deathbed, Rales gave Adonis his blessing to keep the Reds thriving and expanding; to keep his dream alive of one day controlling all of California. So of course, Adonis took the offer and ever since he's been owning up to his promise.

Adonis was never too fond of getting attached to people after Rales passed away. He only cared for his brother and his mother, so anyone else were basically pawns in his game. People put their lives in his hands, which he thought was the stupidest mistake anyone could make. Yes, only people in the Reds knew that Desmond was Adonis' little brother, but no one messed with him, in fear of what Adonis would do to them.

But he honestly didn't give a damn about life.

"Aye!" The older man looked at his little brother, who scoffed and shook his head idly. "What about that girl you been watching?" Adonis pursed his lips at the statement.

Recently, some girl had been showing up on this side of town quite frequently, and Desmond was able to get up close to her about a week ago or two. Adonis used his brother to handle jobs that he himself, couldn't do. Adonis was known for wearing a red mask, and he knew the cops were a little too familiar with his face. He'd been arrested for three alleged accounts of murder on separate occasions, but the witnesses always came up missing before the court date or recanted their stories in court.

Adonis walked away free every time.

Did the cops know that he was Adonis? No, they didn't and honestly no one knew except his little brother. Adonis didn't allow anyone to see his face when he ran the streets, but it was simply for precautious. Yes, he dated people in the past and they found out who he was, but when their relationship hit the fans, Adonis always had the women dealt with.

But digressing back to the story, Adonis had his eyes on the new girl because, she was a stranger. But she also took the fall for his little brother, Desmond. Dez was everything to Adonis, and to hear that this woman let Dez run free after killing a man in cold blood, and she didn't snitch, made Adonis want to meet this woman. He watched from a distance at the time of the incident as she was placed in the back of a cop car, and all he could do was wonder who she was.

He was told she was prostitute, but he didn't care. Niggas were kidnapping prostitutes lately and selling them to the slave trade, which Adonis somewhat had a part in. Personally, Adonis didn't care to take women and rape them, because he preferred to work on his international connects. But, the slave trade did bring in more money into his pockets. With that being said, Adonis himself didn't kidnap the women, but he knew a few of his members who did. He just didn't stop them, because it wasn't his responsibility.

This new girl was a bit suspicious because she came into Reds district unannounced, and she seemed a bit staged. Like someone put her there for a reason. Honestly, Adonis didn't trust the woman and he believed she worked for Legend. "What you find out about her?"

"I found out she lived in my apartment building today." Adonis arched an eyebrow at that as he looked at his younger brother. "As I was heading home from the grocery store-once I changed and burned the old clothes of course- I saw her leaving an apartment on the second floor."

Adonis pursed his lips as he rubbed his beard and asked, "Did you at least get her name?"

Desmond rolled his eyes. "Sha'Mear Owens."

"Did ya'll run a background check on her?"

Dez nodded his head. "After I followed her to Michael's crib-"

"-You followed her to Michael's?!" Adonis yelled, eliciting his younger brother to flinch a bit. "Did you at least change boots!? Did you touch anything?!"

"Yes, the other boots I had burned and shredded, and no I didn't touch anything. I know how to work clean but that's besides the point." Desmond sighed in exasperation at his brother's constant paranoia. He could handle himself, and Adonis was still trying to treat him like a kid. "After she called the cops, and they showed to the house, she turned over the baby that was left after the cri..." Desmond trailed off in his speech when Adonis stood up from his desk and walked over to grab his mask from the wall. "Adonis."

"She filed a police report." Adonis said idly to no one in particular since he already knew the answer to it. "I wanna know everything about this girl, and I want you to take me to her." He demanded once he slipped on the mask and glared at Desmond.

Desmond sighed, "Don't wear the mask to her apartment, she'll know you're Adonis." The older brother laughed.

"I'll take it off in the car, Dez. Just go."