Preface: The tale of Adonis

"Adonis, in Greek mythology, beautiful youth beloved by Aphrodite and Persephone. He was born of the incestuous union of Myrrha (or Smyrna) and Cinyras, king of Cyprus. Aphrodite left Adonis in the care of Persephone, who raised him and made him her lover. Aphrodite later demanded the youth for herself, but Persephone was unwilling to relinquish him. When Adonis was gored to death by a boar, both Persephone and Aphrodite claimed him." (Infoplease)

But, Adonis, wasn't always visually appealing. In fact, it was believed he was actually ugly for the first twenty years of his life. But at the age of twenty-one, something changed. Almost as he lived the tale of the Ugly duckling.

So why would a drug lord, name himself after such a mythological character?

You probably think that's crazy as hell, but I tell you that, this man; this felon's handsome appearance, and masculinity had the power to manipulate any woman into laying down in bed with him.

He was a challenge, and only the Lord knows if Imma be able to handle him."

-Aaliyah Smith.

Tuesday, September twenty-fourth

Aaliyah lolled her head against the smooth upholstery, placed over the seats in the cruiser. Her immaculate badge glistened in the sunlight that beamed down on her, as the woman nonchalantly adjusted her shades in the passenger seat. Aaliyah's skin was smooth, and resembled the color of Mocha if you chose to say. She wasn't dark at all, nor was she classified as light skin.

She was perfect just as she was, and didn't give a damn about those crazy titles of dark skin and light. Also, the woman wasn't entirely small either. She had thick thighs, a decent butt, and a little bit; just a smidgin of pudge on her sides. Although, most didn't really agree with her job choice, she was perfectly fine with it. She could run like anyone else, and she wasn't going to let a little extra weight stop her.

Her long black hair was pulled back into a high riding ponytail with a side bang, and her edges were slicked down to the max. Her jawline was well defined with how tightly she clenched it, to bite back the urge to cuss her partner's ass out. Resting her left elbow on the armrest, Aaliyah held her freshly brewed cup of Joe from Dunkin' Donuts. While her aggravating partner, Blake Dugone, babbled on and on about his wife's tendency to nag.

He was a tall Caucasian man, about five eleven. With broad shoulders and short blonde hair that barely passed his ears. His face wasn't decorated with any facial hair, nor was his arms. He had a baby face, and his Emerald eyes really captured your undivided attention. Blake wasn't the average police officer, mainly because he preferred during the paperwork in the office. Rather than exploring the outside world were the other officers put their lives on the line on a daily bases.

But being a female cop, Aaliyah had to really up her game in this business. Many women were over looked or pushed around when it came to 'tough men' jobs as such, but Aaliyah wasn't going to let a little horse play get her down.

"I'm tellin' ya, Beatrice ain't da one." Blake obnoxiously stated, glancing over at Aaliyah as she calmly sipped her coffee in thought. She didn't care to hear anything about that man's personal life; that's not why she joined the police force. And Lord Knows, if she could switch partners any day she would've done it a long time ago. "Aaliyah." She continued to drink her coffee, scoping out the Cali streets as the cruiser coasted down the road.

Blake scoffed as he made a left turn at the stoplight into what was considered in the streets as, 'Red's Territory'. The Red's were a gang that had little to no association with the bloods whatsoever, but they did have authority over the streets. A lot of it. The leader was a man only known by the letter, 'A' but some were brave enough to call him by the name 'Adonis'. No one has ever gotten the chance to see his face; not even his own crew due to security reason. You let the wrong nígga see your face, and he'll point you out in the crowd. Everyone feared a man that they never got the opportunity to truly see, and honestly it irked Aaliyah's nerves.

The people of Cali wouldn't dare step foot in Red territory at night, and lord knows the cops didn't blame them. Aaliyah lost her last partner to an ambush in that district, after he and another officer went to search for a man likely involved in a murder case. She shook her head at the thought, mean mugging Blake as he continued to bítch about his wife. "Aaliyah, you ain't even listening to me."

She smacked her lips and sipped her coffee, "Sh'ole ain't, because it isn't my job to listen to you whine and complain about your personal life, hell." She scoffed.

Blake glanced over at her when she said that and smiled. He opened his mouth to retort, but Nicole, the office dispatcher, came on the radio. "Anyone near fifth and Main, quickly report to the Family Dollar; a ten-thirty-one is in progress. I repeat a ten-thirty-one is in progress."

Aaliyah snatched up the walkie-talkie, and pressed the button on the side. While Blake turned on the sirens and pressed the gas. "Ten-four, Nicole. Forty-eight is on the way." She sighed while pushing her side bang backward.

Someone was robbing the store in broad daylight?

Idiot.

"Copy that, forty-eight. Ten-four."  Officer Dugone veered down a corner to the right, cursing under his breath when he finally realized what street they were on. Aaliyah immediately reached for her gun, and placed her coffee calmly in the cup holder. Blake turned off the sirens instantly, and began to coast down the street as pedestrians either glared, shook their heads, or ran away when they saw the cruiser.

This was the part of town that cops feared the most; the part of town where the death rate was the highest in the streets of Cali; the part of town where Aaliyah lost her partner.

They were in the heart of Red's Territory now.

~~~~~
Just a little introduction.