3: The Eyes That Watch

Friday, September Twenty-Seventh

Aaliyah adjusted her belt before fixing her ponytail as she approached a black 2005 Honda Civic on a routine traffic stop. Everything in California was so fast pace. The sunlight abused her, and the constant 'tap' of the sole of her boots against the burning cement accompanied her. Well, other than the frequent swish of cars that breezed by her as she cordially approached the driver side of the Honda. Aaliyah inhaled the strong odor of freshly cut grass, as she pressed her right index finger against the back tail light of that Civic. With each step, her finger glided against the side of the car- leaving behind her fingerprints for evidence in case something happened to her. Bypassing the backseat window, Officer Smith glanced over and noticed the pastel pink car seat and tiny feet that kicked violently with frustration.

Smith scoffed under her breath while shaking her head idly at the sight. Some people seemed to have no respect for their children's safety. Reaching the window, Aaliyah removed her shades and stood firmly before a middle-aged woman, who seemed the least bit excited to see her.

"Is there a problem, Officer?" The woman asked with an undertone of sass. Her short blonde hair laid against her scalp, and her pink lips were pursed firmly together. Cerulean blue eyes narrowed with each wasted second, but Aaliyah didn't care at this point- this woman was now on her time. Bracing herself against the side of the vehicle, Smith frowned at the woman.

"Uh, yes there is a problem ma'am. You see, I clocked you speeding around that corner going 80 in a 60 mph zone." Aaliyah answered before adding, "And it bothers me that you're driving that fast with a child in the backseat."

"I'm a good driver, so I don't need you to tell me anything. I know how to keep my baby safe." The woman retorted, making Smith arch an eyebrow incredulously. A large gust of wind slammed against Aaliyah as two cars sped down the road. Those brown eyes quickly darted after the vehicles but Smith knew her priority now was dealing with this ignorant woman here. "I have to go, my child's father wants to see his daughter, officer." Smith chuckled.

"So, you think just because he wants to see his daughter that gives you the right to speed down the road like a daredevil?" Smith interrogated. The woman shook her head idly and offered to explain herself, but Aaliyah had heard enough. "License and registration please." With a grunt and some swears the woman complied, groaning as Smith walked calmly back to her vehicle and typed in the woman's information. Smith sat back, watching the computer pull up everything about this woman. Her name was Amber Michaels, and she'd been arrested before with a DUI charge.

"Well, I'll be damned..." Smith mused to herself as she read that the woman had just received her license back for speeding excessively. Keying in the information for this traffic stop, Smith shook her head as the computer reported that this was her 8th point in 36 months, so her licenses were about to be suspended by the DMV again. Languidly opening the driver side door, Smith walked to the black Civic and stood proudly.

"Problem officer?" She questioned sarcastically. Aaliyah simply stood next to the vehicle and calmly inhaled then exhaled.

"Ma'am Imma need you to step out da vehicle." Smith answered without addressing the woman's bewildered facial expression.

"Why?! I have places to be!"

"Step out the car ma'am and get your child, because I have to call in backup." The woman released a line of obscenities as she kicked open her driver side door and sent Smith a begrudge scowl. Smith stepped back and silently watched as the blonde bent over and went to unhook the pink car seat, when her burgundy crop top rose up revealing the Red's symbol tattooed on her back. A circular image of a Snake fading away as it ate itself. Smith's eyes narrowed as she intently calculated the image and the words which said: