40. Behind The Curtains

••••••••••Virat POV••••••••••

Life is unfair. How can we lose like that? RCB couldn't even chase a total of 132! Considering, we have the best batsmen in the world. Like we have Gayle, Dilshan, AB and all. But we lost because of me.

The pitch changed a lot in the second innings. It helped the fast bowlers. Our openers got out soon, but I stayed there. I knew if I could stay longer and stick there around, we could win the match eventually. The target was a small one, we didn't need big shots to win the match. I settled down playing singles and doubles.

The games was in my control, and I could see my team winning this match and qualify for the semis. But ofcourse, that didn't happen. I wouldn't be fuming like this if it had happened.

I had to play a silly shot and get myself out! It was my mistake. Definitely, my mistake! How could I be that careless! We would've entered semis if I didn't play that shot.

No one spoke a word in the dressing room. We know this is the end of tournament.

"Lads, We will rule the next IPL." Gayle said, lightening our moods. I smiled a little.

"You know there is no use in moping over it. Learn from it and concentrate on the next game," AB told me. I nodded. He is right. We can't change the past now. I should do something which takes my mind off.

I logged in. It's not our regular time to chat, nevertheless, I want to chat with her.

"Are you there?"

Her reply came instantly. It made me wonder what she was doing at night.

"Yep. What happened?"

"Nothing. Why are you spending your time online?"

"Oi! I had to finish my assignment tomorrow. That's why I'm here. Btw, What happened? You seem bit off today."

This girl can be perceptive. She figured out that something is wrong with me.

"Bit of problem here."

"Oh. You know if you want, you can share with me."

Ofcourse, I want to share with her. But I don't know how to. I mean how can I say to her that I being the Virat Kohli and lost an important match today?

"We lost an important opportunity today because of me. If it's not for me, we would have..."

That's partly true. I want to tell her the truth. I want to expose who really I am. But I'm afraid of her reaction. She may freak out or worse she may stop talking to me.

"Don't blame yourself, Veer. It's good to take responsiblity but blaming yourself is totally different."

"I'm responsible for my actions. How can I not blame?"

"You sound like Virat Kohli. He said the same after today's defeat."

Shit! Am I that obvious? Is she Sherlock Holmes or what?

"Influence may be."

It felt so wrong to lie her. She is someone who cares for me like my mom. She doesn't care about who I am or what I do. All she knows is I am a simple, plain guy, Veer. And most importantly she likes him. I am fully myself when I'm with her.

"In a bad way though."

I chuckled. Virat Kohli is influencing himself!

"There are people who have did the same thing before you started. They all have something in common. You just have to figure it out and be consistent with your approach, Veer. Don't get all emotional after a loss. Pick yourself and keep your head held high!"

I pondered on her message. It really made me to think deeply. What do all the other successful players in Evey field have in common?

Confidence? Nah, I have it too. Arrogance? Is it even a question?
Passion? Of course, I have.

What's more important in a game?
Fitness?

I looked down at my body. It doesn't look great, but it doesn't look bad either. It is okay.

It really doesn't look like a sportsman's body. I heaved a sigh. Being the Punjabi boy, I used to eat a lot. A lot in sense without control when it comes to Sushi and all.

That was the time I realised that I need to work on my body. Alisha is really great. She understood me completely. When I am with her, I feel like I'm in home.

"Thank you, Rose bud."

"Don't mention it Veer. You better now?"

Of course I am far more than better now.

"Yep."

"So Can I leave now? I need to complete my assignment. It is already late, Veer."

I glanced at the clock. Shit! It's 2am. This girl cares for me truly. Who would talk to a blabbering boy at this time?

"Sorry. Go to sleep now. You can do it in the morning. You will have time in the morning, we will cancel our chatting session tomorrow. "

"Oi! Don't you dare to do that, Veer! Now let me do my assignment. Good night. Take care."

I chuckled. Alisha is adorable! I already love her.

Wait!

What?

Love?

I smiled to myself. C'mon it can't be wrong? Alisha is intelligent, brave, childish, adorable, and what else? She is everything I'm looking for. It isn't difficult to fall in love with her.

I sent a goodnight message and logged out. Embrace yourself, Alisha. You are going to see another side of mine.

With a smile still playing on my lips, I tried to sleep.

***

My alarm rings and wakes me. I didn't sleep all night. I was looking at the alarm to reach four. Alisha a.k.a my Rose bud have been the sole reason for my sleeplessness.

I finished my morning chores and logged in.

"Good morning, Veer."

Her message greeted me. It was short but it didn't fail to bring a smile to my face.

"Good morning, Rose bud. I need to tell you something."

"What's it?"

Now I decided to tell her that I'm in love. I don't know how to say. All the courage have drained out of my body and my hands are shivering. My heart beats getting faster and faster.

Don't back off now. Go and tell her, my inner voice said.

"Alisha, don't take me wrong okay?"

"What happened, Veer?"

I am making her worry. I groaned and typed what I want to say.

"Life has never been this beautiful. You entered into my life and made it so beautiful. I swear I am not the one who goes around and flirts. I have dated many girls. But no one stands a chance before you. I never cared for them like I do now. They didn't make me comfortable as you do. I feel like I'm in home when I'm with you. I don't what it is, but if it is love, it can't be better."

Okay. I admit it I can't propose my girl in a romantic way in text but I tried my best.

I sent the message and waited for her reply. It's been ten minutes. I know she is in online, but she isn't replying. A lump formed in my throat. I tried not to think on negative note.

May be she didn't like me as I do. Shut up, Virat!

"Say something."

She replied after few seconds.

"Hmm... What should I say other than that feeling is mutual?"

Vote and comment!