❦ chapter sixteen ❦

yes I know this gif messes up my Flossy odd Calum even gif set up but you'll see why this applies more ok

as soon as she opened the glass door to the school, it was a magnet sticking to metal the way everyone's eyes attached to her body. the amount of people that could fill an arena flashed into her brain, but did not reassure her to the amount watching her then. even with a million people watching her, she'd never feel the way she did as she slowly walked down the hallway to her locker that felt countries away. she knew that if she wasn't blasting Halsey in her ears, she'd be able to hear every single thing each person muttered to their friends in criticism to her. the fact that she couldn't hear it did not make her feel any more comfortable than if she were minutes away from finding out whether or not she was going to die in a week. she wondered if they were talking about the conversation undoubtedly passed to them by their new celebrity Calum Hood or if the topic of all of their conversations was her new wardrobe change.

yes, that's right. the infamous Florence Black was donned head to toe in pastels instead of her usual black combat boots, dark jeans, low cut tee and leather jacket.

it wasn't the way she wore them that alarmed every person who laid eyes on her, it was her overall attitude. she didn't take steps as if she owned the entire building with every room in it anymore. she walked in a stagger with her eyes cast downwards, looking like someone only she could see had a gun pressed to her back. her eyes didn't have that fire in them that were so piercing that they tore through her peers' confidence. they were a dull brown, almost anemic in the sense that they were deficient in vitality. if anything, that was how her whole body looked. she resembled a body brought back to life more than a body lacking a set course for something greater later in life.

the song playing in her ears switched to something that gradually got louder and had more of a baseline. it was Friction by Imagine Dragons and she remembered when she heard the song for the first time. their shoulders all the way down to their thighs were pressed against one another and they shared one of his earbuds. he was explaining with a bright smile and animated eyes how the song sounded was in the background while the main character of a movie was preparing for some big battle with fight skills, getting information, and tracking their enemy's location. it was one of the moments where he leaned in and pressed a gentle kiss upon her and she swore he was seconds away from telling her how much he loved her.

she noticed a pair of feet standing just inches away from hers. they looked like Calum's and with that idea in her head, Flossy's heart started to pound faster and heat was fueling her everywhere, whether it was out of anger or something else was unknown to her. then she looked up at the person almost creating a shadow on her face and felt her pulse start to cool down. she nearly wanted to close her locker on her head out of pure self-hatred for actually wanting Calum to be at her locker just once more. no matter how much she told herself that she hated him, there would always be some dark part of her that clouded the hatred with lust for him.

Flossy picked up her head and was met with the cool blue eyes of Diff. she waited a second and then took the buds out of her ears to listen to what  he had to say. she remembered that she promised him he could tell her anything at any time he needed but in that moment, hearing about his problems was the last thing she wanted to do.

"so I went to the hospital and I talked to my dad about . . . well, everything," Diff explained. "I told him about how I wasn't really the role model that my brother and sister should look up to when he passes so Gif should look after him. he'll have more time on his hands and have a better influence on them when they're older."